26 | fame puts you there when things are hollow

"What's the plan for today?" Dayna asked, leaning her lower back against her kitchen counter. "First day free in New York and all."

Jensen swallowed her bite of cereal. "I think Miles wanted to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I'll probably join him."

Dayna took a sip of coffee from a mug that had No Day But Today written on it. "You know that's a full day commitment to Miles being a dork, right? He's gone there every time he's visited here. And he still seems excited about it."

Jensen shrugged. "I've seen him watch Rocky."

Dayna snorted as she grabbed a pudding cup from her fridge and tore the lid off it. "Oh, so you've seen it all."

Jensen took another bite of cereal and nodded. "Him mouthing the words is a sight."

Dayna laughed. "Wait until he brings up the Unicorn Tapestries. Oh, man. I was shocked when Maddox told me he hadn't written his thesis on them."

Miles walked into the kitchen, a grin on his face. The hood of his sweater was pulled over his hair. "Did I miss anything?"

"We were just talking shit about you," Dayna said, licking pudding off the lid.

"Nice," Miles said. "Anything exciting?"

"Just that you're a fucking dork who likes to go to art museums on his days off work," Dayna said. She ate her pudding casually. Like she hadn't just insulted Miles' entire university career. Which, of course, she had. "And that she shouldn't let you drag her to the Unicorn tapestries."

"Because museums are awesome," Miles said. "And they took down the Unicorn Tapestries. Thank you very much."

"Which one are you going to?"

"Fifth Ave," Miles said.

Dayna scooped a spoonful of pudding as she rolled her eyes. "God, Jens, don't go with him. Jesus."

"Hey!" Miles said.

Jensen looked between the two of them. "Why?"

"Dayna doesn't like the painting I did for my thesis," Miles said.

"Miles picked a nudie 'cause he's a fucking horn-dog. It's in the Met on Fifth Avenue."

"Really?" Jensen asked, looking at Miles.

"Yeah, it's really on Fifth Avenue," Miles said.

"That's not what I meant."

"Look, I was twenty-five," Miles tried. "Being horny wasn't uncommon."

Dayna nearly snorted out a mouthful of pudding and erupted into a fit of coughing. "Oh my God."

"One more time," Jensen said. She bit her lip as she tried her hardest not to laugh.

"I... Oh." Miles' eyes widened and his cheeks darkened. "Yeah, I picked a nude painting. Is that what you wanted to know?"

"With a little added information," Jensen said. "But sure."

"I think she got a lot more than she bargained for," Dayna said.

"Am I really being judged by someone eating vanilla pudding for breakfast?" Miles asked.

Dayna looked around the kitchen and back to Miles. She placed a hand on her chest in mock sympathy. "Sorry, dad, didn't know you were visiting. How long are you here for?"