𝟬𝟬𝟯 do you feel held by him?

chapter threedo you feel held by him?

chapter three
do you feel held by him?

$$

          The stars made Izzy feel

The stars made Izzy feel. Sure, she felt things on a regular basis. She was human, after all. But the stars winking at her in the night sky always had a way of making her feel the most. She felt safe with them hanging above her head, twinkling in the darkness.

          Every time Izzy stared into the sky and saw twinkling stars staring back at her, she realized the universe was huge. She lived in North Carolina on Earth which was only one of the eight planets (nine if you counted Pluto, which Izzy did) in their solar system plus the many moons and the Sun. She was just one person in the universe. She was a speck, practically nothing, and that very thought made her feel a whole lot better when she started feeling sorry for herself. Because when she stared at the dark sky, the stars made her feel like her problems were small, almost nonexistent. She liked feeling like she was just a speck, not a rich girl with a dead mom and too many emotions to control.

          Later that night as the moon began to take its place in the sky, the beach was consumed by a blanket of darkness adorned with the things Izzy loved most in life—stars. The only source of light came from the small fire at the center of the beach with warm bodies surrounding it as they drank from their red solo cups and conversed amongst each other. Izzy stood off to the side away from the group of people. She hadn't realized how much time had passed since they first arrived at the Boneyard hours ago until she glanced at the sky and saw the stars winking back at her. The stars told her to drive back home, but Izzy just kept staring at them, wondering when one of her friends would come to get her and force her to retire to her car. But until then, she stayed gazing at the stars wishing she was anywhere other than trapped in boring North Carolina.

          Someone approached her and stood beside her, but she didn't look to see who the person was. "Are you still mad at me?" they asked.

          Izzy rolled her eyes, already knowing who was standing beside her. She didn't need to look to know Rafe Cameron had decided to finally talk to her for the first time that night. "Are you still an asshole?" she snapped, her voice curt.