third time's the charm (VI)

The ride back to Lena's penthouse was utterly silent. Throughout the ride, Kara keeps looking out of the window to avoid Lena's gaze. Lena tries to hold Kara's hand but she brushes it away. Lena can see that Kara is biting her lips hard not to let the tears fall, but her eyes did otherwise. Kara is pissed with herself, she wishes that she could have done more back then, she wishes that she has a time travel machine to prevent this mishap.

The moment the car stops right outside the house, Kara immediately gets out, runs all the way to their bedroom and locks the door. Lena follows suit. By the time she reaches their bedroom, the door is already locked. Kara didn't even make it to bed, her knees gave way and she dropped to the floor. All the sadness, anger and guilt start to pour out in an uncontrollable flood of tears. Lena knocks the door a couple of times but the door still remains locked.

"Babe, you know I'm not leaving until you open this door.."

Still no response, Lena decides to sit outside the door to wait for Kara to come to her senses, she could hear crying echoing from the bedroom, her heart aches, she wishes she could do something.

After a while, the crying stops. Lena hears footsteps coming towards the door, she quickly gets up, she hears a click and the door knob turns. Kara looked up, her eyes were red and swollen. Lena wipes off the tears and hugs Kara, Kara cries even louder upon their embrace.

"Baby, I'm here now. Just let it all out, you will feel better afterwards. Come, let's go to bed."

"What if I have been wrong about Diana all these time? I shouldn't have broken up with her in the first place, I shouldn't have assumed what I have seen, I should have confronted her and we should talk things out and none of this will have happened, tragedy won't have striked and Harley won't be in the psychiatric hospital right now.. It's all my fault!!!."

Lena cuts Kara off, "Hey babe, look at me. None of this is ever your fault. Don't take it all on yourself. Diana is trying to make herself look like a victim, you are not at fault at all and who would have known that this would happen.

Being with you all these while is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. You make me feel loved and a place where I can call home, don't let people tell you otherwise. You did what other people would have done and she should be the one coming forward to you if she faced any problems but she didn't.

In fact she was trying to hide the fact from you that she and Harley had reconciled but she made it seem like Harley was the one that caused the rift between the two of you. If she cared about you or even this relationship, she would have fought harder for you and not agreed to your break up so casually."

"Look, I said what I need to say. It's all up to you to decide if you want to meet her again for the talk. Kara, I don't want you to suffer from another panic attack, it's awful to see you in that state, you scared me, you really scared me so badly. I couldn't have imagined how you felt at that time. If you want to forgive her, I will respect your decision if it helps you to sleep better at night."

"Lee, could you hold me?"

"Silly, you don't have to ask. Come here."

Lena gets onto the bed and Kara shifts towards her, Lena positions themselves in a big and little spoon manner, she gently strokes Kara's hair and rubs her back in a circular motion to calm Kara down. "You know I'm not going anywhere and I promise that I will always be here for you no matter what happens. You can tell me anything, even if it's about your ex. I do care about you, your mental state and physical well being are my top priority. Don't hesitate to ask for help, I would never judge you for that. You promise me?"

Kara nods her head, she takes Lena's hand to her mouth and places a kiss on her knuckle. "Thank you, Lee. For everything you have done today."

"Silly, you are my girlfriend. This is what girlfriends do for each other, I believe you will have my back if the same thing happens to me."