Delphine chapter 11

CHAPTER 11:

DRAINS

The many underground passages of the island (though uninviting and hostile at first) have become home during the years. Being the main headquarters of the resistance, it was usually busy: much like the headquarters of our enemy. Today they were filled with junk from the recent storm. The world was truly suffering from the pollution of our species. To this day, the climate is so unpredictable that weather forecasts were abandoned decades ago. Tropical monsoons in the English winter, and snow in the summer months of Australia. Our ecosystem is falling apart: the world population at about 1 billion. Billions died in the melting of the polar ice caps, and 1/3 of the countries of the world flooded over.

I tried to avoid the depressing thoughts as I walked along the raised wooden platforms in the underground deserted sewage system. Walking to the main hall was tedious due to the flooded tunnels. I was walking on a huge long bench, like the platforms that were once used on the streets of Venice so tourists wouldn't have to walk in the flooded piazza. Or so I'm told. Venice went under almost a hundred years ago. Some one in the resistance was lucky to have a photo of it when his grandfather went there: he brought it in and it was passed around. I never got what the fuss was about. Venice was just a watery city with benefits. Sure: it had beautiful artwork. Deteriorating artwork. (A/N I have actually been to Venice, so I know what I'm talking about).

The platforms were also frustrating because when someone went passed me, I had to turn on the side so neither of us would knock the other in the storm water. Thank goodness not many people were passing me. However, after a few minutes of walking, I realised no one was going the other way. And when people did pass me, they were walking hurriedly as if they were late for something. Maybe they were: everyone was heading to the main hall after all. Perhaps everyone was at some sort of meeting: if they were, I needed to be there. I quickened my pace, eager to see what the fuss was all about.

When I got to the main hall, the lights were off, but I could tell that the room was packed, due to the hushed whispers and shushing travelling across to huge cavern. I cleared my throat, hoping someone would clue me in as to what everyone was doing.

Suddenly, everyone jumped out from nearly everywhere in the not-really-technically-a-room-but-lets-call-it-that-for-lack-of-a-better-word and shouted “SUPRISE!” in my face. I went into an uncontrollable fit of laughter when someone tried to turn on the lights all at one, and ended up blowing the one at the rear end of the 'room'. I straightened my face and saw everyone looking at me, arms open, and congratulating looks on their faces. Everyone in the resistance is here, I thought. That's why people were hurrying through the underground systems, and it explains why people who would normally say hi to me completely ignored me.

Wait, wait, wait. A SUPRISE party, for me? What did I do all of a sudden... oh. Right.

I cleared my throat and opened my mouth for a 'thank you, guys! Couldn't have done it without you!' speech, but I was interrupted by Eagle. She stepped out of the crowd and solemnly came to shake my hand and ruffle my hair affectionately. Everyone else in the room politely turned their heads and started partying: now that we had all the info we were waiting on the attack of the Blue trying to get it back- or just get back at us for setting fire to their fancy computer- we had time to party. And trust me, when they came, we would be more than ready.

Then Eagle broke into a smile and pulled me into a hug, murmuring “I am soo proud of you!!My little Angel-” she chuckled at her pun, “I knew you would be the best of us when I saw you kicked the sh*t out of that Blue rookie. He even received basic training, and you: zilch.”

She smiled her supportive smile and continued on to de-brief a few Arc-angels on the situation,a nd take a break from being Miss On-her-toes leader and mingle. You would be surprised at how much you don't know about your colleagues until you talk to them while they have a drink in their hands. Mind you, alcoholic substances were hard to come by theses days: companies stopped producing non-necessities and focused on keeping humanity alive. Due to this shortage, no drugs, cigarettes, toys, accessories, and many other well, things, that were non-essential.