Chapter 5

NATALIE POV

  "Sorry, promise I'm not following you and technically I was here first." He quickly chuckled out as I glared at him.
  I really didn't have a reason to be mad at him. It was just so frustrating that every embarrassing moment that I had today was being witnessed by him.

  I calmed myself while pulling out my supplies. I needed to focus, this is math and if I was upset I wouldnt understand my notes later. Plus I had to make sure I wasn't behind, since I was in a new district. Ryan repeatedly disrupted my concentration.

  He was making me angry. Why doesnt he pay attention or take notes. Probably because he is one of those snobby spoiled kids or a person that teachers give breaks to. He seems popular and acts like he owns the school the way he walks around. When he finally realized I wasnt going to chit chat with him during the lesson, he decided to check me out instead. "Freaking perv."

    Finally the bell rang, granting me freedom yet again. I began putting my stuff up. He wasnt moving. He just kept staring at me. Finally he asked if I needed help finding my next class.

  I smirked at him I wanted to tell him I wasn't some helpless high school girl that would fall for his charm. He was probably used to girls wanting to date him. Instead  I politely declined and escaped the room.

  Next up World History, history is so easy to me. It's just memorization, no problem solving required. This room had separate desks in rows, which I preferred. No annoying table mates. I picked a seat in the front row. No distractions.

  As the minutes passed students came in the room in waves. One of the waves included three guys, all big, all loud, and all annoying. Especially the one in the middle which was Mr.Bedhead himself.

   They were discussing their morning workout. Ryan didnt even notice my presence as he sat two rows over, also in the front. This time I wasnt flustered or embarrassed so his presence didnt bother me. His friends were what I would call typical jerks.

   They had their hair styled and gelled. They had dark wash jeans and really tight shirts. I mean yeah they had great bodies and shouldn't be ashamed of them at all. They were actually super muscular and cute but I could tell they dated a bunch. "Man hoes!!"

   Ryan seemed to be their leader but he had a different vibe. His posture screamed confidence. But his outfit and hair said casual and carefree. He was talking loud and looked happy but he wasnt being cocky like the other two were. Maybe I was wrong maybe Ryan wasn't a perv.

  As soon as the  teacher walked in Ryan became the perfect student. Not like last class at all. He sat up straight and took perfect notes. The teacher Mr. Wilson called on him multiple times. I felt like he was being picked on for some reason.

  As I observed him I kept getting caught by his quick glances. He would smirk everytime and I would blush hard. Dang it!

   At the end of class I was buzzing with excitement. I was going to go display my soccer skills. I loved playing soccer my mom had actually been consistent in having me play the sport. The only consistent thing in my life really.

   I was almost skipping with happiness before I realized Ryan was walking beside me.
"Hey, where are you heading in such a great mood?"
"Girls athletics, you?"
"Boys athletics, mind if I walk with you?"
"Sure"

  After a brief silence Ryan seemed to get uncomfortable. After I glanced at him I realized he had something on his mind.

"What's up?"

  The look on his face was priceless. He was in shock that I was asking him a question. I suddenly realized I had been treating him very rudely. I quickly plastered an extremely friendly look on my face hoping it would encourage him to answer.

"What did you mean when you said the school was just another building?"

Oh that. "Well, I tend to move around a bunch. I dont understand people's deep connections to places." I said while shrugging.
He looked deep in thought at my statement which confused me.
"I am not trying to be rude if you have a ton of school spirit or something. It's just not my thing," I stated feeling guilty for some reason.
"No it's fine. That just sounds sad. Having no real ties to anywhere. I know I wouldn't like that and I would feel lonely." He said with a huge frown.

   Well cheese balls this dude just read my soul like a book. "It is," was all I whispered.
He turned to me with a friendly smile and I wanted to melt.

   "Thanks for answering all my boring questions at lunch. You must get them all the time."

"I do," I said chuckling. "Well enjoy Coach Lawton, she's new this year too."
   How did he know that? Before I could ask him how he knew the new coach already he smiled and walked towards the boys locker room.

   The tryouts were full of sweat, running, kicking, and pure bliss. Their goalie couldn't block any of my shots. My dribbling skills were on point today and my passing was impeccable. I know I made the team even before the announcement. I got the position I tried for Center Forward. I was so happy. Now off to my shift at Krogers and then home.

(Note: Center Forward (CF): Center forwards and strikers can often be synonymous. They must focus on scoring, whether this means dribbling past opponents when they have the ball or ensuring they stay open for a pass when they don’t. Being able to head the ball accurately can really come in handy here.)

***AVAILABLE ON GOODNOVEL***