Chapter Four

"You're late."

Shit

Mr. Downey was standing with his back to the class‚ scribbling furiously at the blackboard. The other kids stared at me‚ a few with open interest‚ a few with boredom. Self-conciously‚ I made my way to the back of the class to find a seat.

"Why are you so late by the way?"

I spun around‚ my thigh catching the nearest desk.

"Shit!" My hand flew to the bruised spot.

"Language!" Mr. Downey scolded‚ his back still to us. Without thinking‚ I said‚
"English."
Mr. Downey slowly‚ slowly turned around.
Oh.
I sat with a thump on the nearest chair‚ mouth agape. This man‚ this Adonis‚ was not my teacher‚ surely?
Dark hair stood at all angles‚ gloriously messy‚ as though he had just rolled out of bed. He wasn't tall‚ no‚ not by any stretch of anyone's imagination. But he towered above my five foot and one inch height. Worn denim jeans sat snugly on narrow hips‚ a black tee-shirt showcased a magnificent body‚ lithe but powerful‚ broad shoulders threatening to erupt from the flimsy material.
But what really had me floored were his eyes. Oh‚ his deep chocolate eyes‚ their molten gaze burning a hole in me. Those orbs of gooey perfection locked on my own green irisis. A heartbeat. Two. Neither of us backed down‚ the two of us caught in a seductive battle of the wills. Mine was weakening. A smirk played on those sinful lips; he knew he had me. "Well?" He said‚ his voice a delicious purr‚ one very masculine eyebrow raised. Oh‚ what I would do to him‚ this beautiful creature. The thought of his hands‚ his lips‚ his tongue...
Stop it!
I coughed.
The moment was broken.
"Um‚ what?" I stammered‚ shaking my head to rid myself of the ridiculously uncouth fantasies that really shouldn't be lurking in such a place as my brain.
Downey's smirk grew wider. My knees grew weaker.
"I said-" he drawled‚ with the aura of a man who's time was being wasted‚ "Why are you so late?" His second eyebrow joined the first one.
I floundered‚ before coming up with a believable excuse.
"I got lost." I grinned‚ sure I had won this. It was true‚ after all.
"What‚ both of you?" Downey looked between Harry and I‚ waggling those eyebrows suggestively. The class burst into peals of laughter. Harry grinned and bumped fists with his mates‚ mouthing the word 'scored.' Disgusted‚ I turned to Mr. Downey‚ my cheeks aflame with anger and embaressment. How dare he!
"Actually‚" I huffed‚ "Harry was showing me around!"
"Was he now?" Another bout of laughter. Fuming‚ I slammed my fist down on my desk. The room fell silent.
"You piece of shit!" I taunted‚ my chin high in the air‚ "Call yourself a teacher? I'm surprised you're not  a god-damned paedophile!"
Eighteen pairs of eyes flitted between Mr. Downey and I‚ eighteen students holding their breath.
Downey looked at me. I looked at him. The moment stretched on for an eternity. Finally-
"Get. Out." Downey said calmly‚ a muscle jumping in his jaw. He was angry.
"No." His eyes snapped to mine. They narrowed‚ as though daring me to take things one step further.
He advanced on me‚ coming to stand dangerously close to me. His cologne caressed my skin‚ its woodsy‚ musky smell filling my nose.
I sighed.
"Don't test me‚" Downey hissed‚ a dangerous promise hidden in those words.
"Or what‚" I whispered‚ "You'll spank-"
"That's it!" Downey growled‚ grabbing my wrist‚ pulling me outside. I barely had time to register what was happening before I was pushed up against the wall.
"Hey‚ you can't-" I was cut off by Downey slamming his hands either side of my head. I was trapped. Unable to move‚ I was forced to look up at him. His dark brown eyes were stony and cold‚ his smirking mouth now set in a grim line.
"How dare you‚" he hissed‚ his minty breath washing over my face‚"How dare you try to humiliate me in front of my class! Who do you think you are?"
I tapped my chin‚ pretending to think for a moment. Downey batted my arm down. Pushing away from the wall‚ he pulled me with him.
"Detention tonight‚" he growled‚ breathing heavily‚ "Six o'clock‚ after school. Now get inside and shut up!" Wrenching the door open with such a force I was surprised it didn't fly off its hinges‚ Downey shoved me inside.
"Now class‚" he began‚ "Before we were rudely interrupted‚ I was writing about Shakespeare.. " The class groaned. Downey turned his vicious gaze on us.
"Don't you dare fucking start!"