Chapter Eight

"What do you mean‚ I'm in the contest!" I exclaimed‚ staring at Robert as though he had grown an extra head‚ "What contest?"

Robert didn't answer immediately‚ instead choosing to commit as much of my face as he could to memory. Or‚ at least it seemed that way. His eyes kept roaming my face‚ resting on my eyes‚ my nose. My mouth...

No‚ stop it‚ he wouldn't be looking at you like that‚ I scolded myself‚ he is your teacher!

"It's an art contest‚" he explained‚ "Each of my students recieves a notification about it. You've got two weeks to produce something that makes you feel -" he paused‚ thinking of the right word.

"Feel what?" I asked‚ leaning forward.

"Well‚ free‚ or it could be something you really love. Something that makes you feel alive‚" Robert said. I frowned‚ digesting the news. An art contest? But my sketches were nothing more than mere doodles and I couldn't draw anything too elaborate. And what the Hell did 'alive' mean?

Voicing my thoughts‚ I said‚

"Alive‚ what do you mean by that?" I glanced at my mom. She was sucking her cheeks in‚ trying not to laugh. I knew exactly what was on her mind‚ and I willed her not to shout it from the top of her lungs.

Robert coughed theatrically before answering.

"Well‚" he said‚ warming to his subject‚ "It can be anything‚ a place that you love‚ a ride on a funfair -"

"Sex?"

I looked at my mom. She was sitting there smiling‚ trying to sound clever. Robert swallowed.

"Umm - " he stuttered‚ clearly embaressed. I slapped my forehead. She went there‚ she had to go there!

"What?!" My mom's eyes flitted between Robert and I‚ not understanding why we were so uncomfortable‚ "It could be‚ right?"

"Um yes‚ I guess?" I tried not to laugh at Robert's strangled squeak of a voice. But I failed miserably. A snort escaped my lips. My mom and I looked at each other before bursting into loud‚ unladylike peals of laughter. While my mom snorted like a pig‚ I honked like a goose. And Robert's bewelidered‚ somewhat terrified face made things a whole lot worse.

"Stop!" I choked‚ clutching at my side‚ "Stop‚ I think I've damaged a rib!"

"That's not the only thing that's damaged‚" Robert muttered. That set us off again‚ our howls of laughter ringing through the house. Finally‚ we composed ourselves. Turning to my mother‚ I yelped‚

"Don't ever do that again!" She giggled‚ wiping the stream of tears that had spilled out onto her rosy cheeks.

"I'm so so-o-rry!" I managed to press out‚ wiping my eyes‚ "My mom can be a bit of an oddball at times"

Robert just nodded‚ staring at us two lunatics sitting beside him.

"So‚" he finally managed to say‚ "You've got two weeks to produce your‚ umm‚ sketch."

He stood‚ reaching out to grasp my mom's hand. She took it‚ going pink at the contact.

Smirking‚ I thrust out my own hand. Robert took it‚ giving it a sharp shake. And it took everything I had in me not to pull him in for a mind-boggling kiss. His touch was electric! Sparks seemed to fly from his hand to mine‚ sailing up my arm and shooting through my body. I snatched my hand back‚ suddenly afraid of the connection I could feel‚ the ever-growing‚ white-hot fire that was raging in my belly.

Robert tipped his head at me in farewell‚ his molten eyes never leaving my own.

"Good day. Thanks for the coffee."

And with that he was gone‚ leaving me and my mother standing like idiots‚ our mouths open.

"He was your teacher?!"

I groaned.

Not a long chapter‚ sorry! But comment or vote‚ whatever. If you have any requests or critisisms‚ leave them in the box as I want to do anything I can to improve this story. Thanks‚ peace out!