prologue

( 𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲 )

The one thing that Malia Hughes really knew about herself was that she'd always work for anything she got

The one thing that Malia Hughes really knew about herself was that she'd always work for anything she got. No matter what it was. Although she was shy when it came to anything, she somehow landed herself a job at the Wreck. That being after she was hounded countless times by her father that getting a job was the most important thing to do. Of course, her little sister, Madi, would never have to worry about being hounded by the man of the house.

Madi was the perfect angel the Hughes could have ever asked for. She was outgoing and followed all of the expectations that her parents wanted her to follow. Malia, however, tried to live up to those expectations as best as she could. She just wasn't as social as her little sister and everyone could see it. The oldest Hughes child worked for everything, even if she needed to ask her parents for help. The youngest Hughes kid got it all handed to her.

Some people even went as far to say that Malia hated her little sister for that very reason. The truth was, she could never hate her little sister for anything. After all, the two did stick together when things at home would get bad with Alex and Serena Hughes having screaming matches downstairs. Everyone only saw the differences between the two girls as a way for them to hate each other.

Yet here she was. Doing the one thing that she felt would please her father more than anything. She let an internal groan go through her as people passed by her to get into the establishment. However, the girl didn't want to move at all despite it being a job she has been doing for a week. Many of the people passing her always recognized her and would call her by name when they were dining in. That only made the blonde want to hide in a corner for the rest of the night.

It wasn't a secret that Malia never socialized much even at work. A lot of her coworkers barely knew anything about her personally. Mike Carrera was the only one who knew anything about her given he was her boss. He'd often strike up a conversation with the young girl to get her to break out of that shell of being quiet and reserved. It never worked in his favor other than her actually engaging in those short lived conversations.

Her mind went back in forth of going inside and actually working her shift. It was like the angel and the devil on her shoulder were fighting the way her parents did at times. She couldn't even escape the fighting at home because she had nowhere to go and no one to go to. So instead of turning around and hiding at the beach for the day, she put up enough courage to walk into the building to start her day.

"Hey, Malia! What are you doing here so early?" Mr. Carrera spoke up, breaking her out of her thoughts. He was standing behind the counter getting drinks for a table when she waltzed in.

"Oh, I'm early?" Her eyes darted from her boss to the clock on the wall seeing that she was half an hour early. She figured she would be late with as long as she stood outside contemplating whether or not to go in. "Guess I just wanted to get an early start today. I had nothing else planned for the day so.."

"Well, you can either wait the thirty minutes or just clock in. Totally up to you, sweetheart." He gave the girl a smile before he stalked off to give the table their drinks. She sighed as she moved out of the doorway to the back in order to get ready for her shift.

She quickly got prepared for her shift and clocked in, not even looking to see what time she did clock in at. Quite frankly she did seem to enjoy having this job. Mr. Carrera was kind enough to even give her a chance and it doubled as an escape for her to get out of the house. Malia walked back into the kitchen mumbling out hellos as she passed by everyone to get to where she needed to go. As she walked through the threshold, she saw a customer waiting at the cash register.

She quickly got into action and helped them out with their takeout along with various others who she knew as regulars from the short time she had been working there. The short blonde put on her best smile as she showed her hospitality towards everyone in Outer Banks for the rest of her shift.

The girls worst habit was the fact she never looked at the time. She was still serving everyone without sparing a glance at the clock. All day her coworkers had to remind her of her breaks or else she would just continuously work. That's what made her not realize what time it was even when night fell upon the island.

"Malia, right?" An unfamiliar voice spoke from behind her causing her to whip around from her place. She was currently wiping down a table when she felt the tap on her shoulder.

"Um, yeah, that's me." She spoke softly as she stood up straighter not entirely sure who the girl was standing in front of her. She'd be lying if she didn't say she was drop dead gorgeous. Her sun kissed tone was glowing as well as the smile that had graced her face.

"My dad wanted me to tell you that your shift is over. And that it's also been over for a while now." The girl informed her making the blonde's eyes go wide. Malia's eyes darted once again to the clock and she let a groan out.

"Oh my god, I didn't even realize." She looked around the restaurant to see the last few groups leaving. A sigh left her lips as she grabbed everything she had gotten out and walked back to the kitchen. What she didn't know was that the girl from before, who had given her the hint of her being a Carrera, was following her.

"Here I can take over for you. You should go home and get some rest." The girl gave a greatful smile as she rushed to clock out which wasn't too far from the Carrera girl. "I'm Kiara by the way. Boss' daughter."

"Malia. But you already knew that." She turned and faced the girl letting out a laugh. Kiara watched the girl closely as she packed up the few things she had with her.

"You know, I've seen you here so many times, but I've never seen you anywhere else." Kiara spoke up as she started to take over everything Malia had planned on doing.

"Oh yeah, I, uh, don't really have many friends here. I mainly keep to myself and I don't talk to anyone." She paused as the two girls spared glances at each other. "We just moved here not long ago. My dad figured a job would benefit me more than anything else. Plus, staying to myself keeps me out of trouble."

The two girls stood in silence as Malia watched the girl do the job she probably should have been the one doing. Once again, the girl started to lose track of time before she finally got out of whatever trance she was in. "I should go. Don't want your dad getting upset with me for staying over my hours." She laughed as she grabbed her things. "It was great meeting you, Kiara. I'll, uh, see you around."

"Yeah, you too. Hey, wait! You don't work tomorrow, right?" Kiara asked the girl as she started to leave the building. The blonde thought for a while before she shook her head no in response. "Do you want to hang out tomorrow? My friends and I are going out for a boat ride if you want to join."

Malia let a small smile as she thought about the offer. It didn't take her long before she agreed and said yes to hanging out. After all, she could gain some close friends from it which is just what she needed. The two girls exchanged numbers and plans before Malia left the restaurant with a smile plastered on her face.

It was only the beginning for her. And from what she was telling herself, she knew she would end up being happy for a while.

𝘈𝘜𝘛𝘏𝘖𝘙𝘚 𝘕𝘖𝘛𝘌...
ahhhh this really is only the beginning for this story!! i kind of hate this writing because it seems all out of the place, but hopefully all of the other chapters aren't as bad.

i have a lot of motivation for this story so i should be updating it quite a lot! i hope you guys enjoy this story and if you ever have ideas, please suggest them because it could help me. ily all <33