𝟎𝟏

( 𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗻𝗲 )

Living on the island of Outer Banks, "Paradise on Earth," definitely had its perks

Living on the island of Outer Banks, "Paradise on Earth," definitely had its perks. The beach was all around you and almost everyone knew each other. The Hughes family had moved in a little over a year ago which now resulted in almost everyone knowing who they were on the outside. Nobody knew of what went down on the inside.

With her legs tucked up to her chest, Malia sat on the deck of a house under construction in Figure Eight. Luckily, she wasn't the only teenager that was occupying space on that deck. Two teenagers sat in her general area, one was on the roof, and the other girl in the group was exploring the inside of the house. The smallest of the group sat off to the side, reserved, as she usually was wherever she went.

"I give you about a one in three chance of survival." A voice called out from behind the girl. She turned to see what he was talking about only for her eyes to land on her friend who was looking up. The girl let her eyes drift to the roof of the house seeing John B., the 'leader' of the crew, walking along it.

The boy at the top turned to look at his friends who had their eyes on him. He licked his pointer finger and lifted it in the air to see the direction of the wind. "Should I do it?" The sarcasm in his voice filled the air along with the screaming children and the waves of the water.

Malia huffed as she glanced at the two boys who sat on the deck with her. She let out a sigh before she untucked her legs and walked closer to the house where she could see John B fully. "You're gonna get yourself killed swaying like that." She called up, almost surprising everyone around her with the fact that she spoke up. She had been quiet the entire time they had been there.

"Yeah, you should do it. I'll shoot you on the way down!" Pope called out as he held up a drill from the table, aiming it at the boy. Malia shook her head before she leaned over on a metal bar and looked back out at the ocean.

"You gonna shoot me?" Although she didn't turn, she could hear the smirk that was plastered on the brunette's face.

She should have just went inside to explore the house with Kiara, but instead she stayed out with all of the boys. Why? She had no idea. All she knew was that she wanted to be out in the summer air even if she didn't exactly want to be at the construction site.

Kiara was the sole purpose as to why Malia had joined the group on their little adventures. Malia found a friend in the other girl after running into her that night of her shift. That's when she was introduced to the rest of the Pogues; John B., Pope, and JJ. At first, the guys were weary on whether or not they should accept the girl, but after Kiara did some convincing, Malia found herself with the crew all of the time.

The first to warm up to her was Pope Heyward. Pope was like a big brother to her. She confided in him when it came to a lot of things because she knew he would be logical with his decisions. He was the only one who would really have conversations with her whenever she had first came around. John B was the second to warm up to her. That was after he had found out what her life was like at home when he went to pick her up one night from the orders of Kiara. Malia swore him to secrecy so that the rest of the crew wouldn't find out what she dealt with all of the time.

Now JJ took a while to warm up to her. He was even still trying to warm up to the idea of her always being around even a year later. Malia didn't mind that he was taking so long considering she knew he was the most trouble of them all. Even though Malia kept her distance from him most times, she often found herself standing closer to him whenever Kooks had came around the bunch.

She turned back around when JJ had finally spoken up. "If you drop that beer, you aren't getting another one." His words were directed to the boy who had one foot up, balancing on the roof. Almost on cue, the beer slipped from his hands and crashed causing the girl to let out a giggle as JJ started complaining. Kiara shook her head at the boy on the roof, Malia finally taking notice to the girl standing in front of her.

She tuned out everyone once again before she felt a slight push from one of the boys. "The boys are here early today." She couldn't tell who had said it before she watched the group take off running through the house. Quickly gathering herself, the blonde started to run in the same direction as whoever was the last she saw running. She followed Kiara through the house to the front where John's van had been parked. She only turned her head to see cops running after the group making her eyes go wide.

As she reached the fence, she gripped the wood before she attempted to jump it. Her feet stumbled as they hit the ground on the other side, but she quickly regained herself and jumped into the open van as it started to drive off. With everyone in the van, she watched as JJ and Pope taunted the poor officer as he chased after the van.

She rolled her eyes before helping Kiara pull the two back into the van to leave him alone. She didn't exactly catch her footing as she leaned forward to pull them back when John B sped up a bit to get rid of the cop. Malia found herself stumbling forward towards the still open door. Her hair had managed to get out of the van as she struggled to grab onto whatever to keep her safe in the van.

A hand grabbed a hold of her wrist, yanking her back into the van before she heard the door shut hard behind her. A shaky breath fell past her lips as she looked over to see the other blonde with his hand still around her wrist. "Thank you." She muttered out as he let go of her and the group fell into a discussion.

That was one of the things Malia hated the most about being around the group. No matter where they were, they somehow always had to run away. She was just counting down the days until she was the unlucky one of the group and ended up getting caught. Luckily, that day was not one of those days.

𝘈𝘜𝘛𝘏𝘖𝘙𝘚 𝘕𝘖𝘛𝘌...
Y'ALL THIS IS JUST THE FIRST CHAPTER
AND I'M ALREADY WAY TOO EXCITED ABOUT
THIS STORY!! also we must protect malia at all costs so protect malia 2020.

i just saw that i had a different name picked out for malia in my notes omggggg