𝟎𝟗

( 𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲 )

Malia Hughes found it to be more peaceful when she was awake and nobody else was

Malia Hughes found it to be more peaceful when she was awake and nobody else was. The entire island would be quiet with the only noises being the birds chirping and the waves crashing in the distance. Usually, the girl would sleep in as much as she can especially after the night she had, but the idea of being confronted by her parents crept in her mind all night. She didn't need the lecture of teen drinking being bad, she knew that. She just didn't want to hear her parents saying it to her when they never felt the need to say it before.

Besides she knew exactly what her father would say, 'It's that group of friends she is always with.' It seemed to be a recurring theme in their conversations. Everything being blamed on the Pogues because he didn't want to accept the fact that it was, indeed, him. Truthfully, Malia was waiting for an out. Waiting for the day where she didn't need to stay with her wretched father anymore. In her mind, she figured she'd be happier if her mom would just leave him.

But that was just a dream. All Malia could do now was wake up in the early hours with a killer hangover and listen to the nature before all hell breaks loose. She slouched down in a chair and looked out at the water. There were a few people out this early with the sun rising who were either taking a run or out surfing the waves. There's another thing she was not good at and would never be able to do. Surf. As much as she loved the water, she just couldn't surf no matter how hard she tried. So while everyone else was living their best lives out in the water, she was up on the shore watching them.

Her thoughts were interrupted when her bedroom door creaked open. She quickly turned her head around, feeling as if she got whiplash, just to see who had walked in. "I didn't think you would be up this early. Especially after last night." Her mother spoke softly to her in order to not wake up the sleeping girl who was still in bed.

"Yeah, I didn't think so either, yet here I am." Malia physically relaxed back into the seat until she saw the sight of water and Advil in her mom's hands. Serena chuckled lightly at the girl before handing over the remedy and taking a seat on the edge of the bed. "Dad's still mad isn't he?"

"I just think he's more disappointed."

"He compared me to Uncle Isaac. A guy who does drugs and is part of a gang, mom." Malia retaliated, "Yet he still cares more about me than dad ever would."

"He didn't mean it that way, Malia. You know your father loves you." Serena let a look of disbelief flash in her eyes. "Are you going to John B's today?" She looked over at her mom to see an eyebrow raised in curiosity.

"It's summer. I'm always over there or at least with the group." Malia gave off a small smile before turning back to look out the window. It would only be at least a couple more hours until the island woke up, and cherishing those peaceful moments were much needed. Much needed before she went off and joined the group in what she could only say would be JJ's next grand adventure of getting them in trouble.