Chapter 10

Jonny calls me that evening to answer some questions, he tells me that he may have some key evidence. The write up is below

Jonny: I heard a scream that night in the woods, I was out for a walk and I heard it clearly.
Skyla: Which direction was the scream coming from?
Jonny: The woods... but that's not the main part. I was on my way back after being kinda freaked out from the scream and I was right near my cabin when I saw Ruby.
Skyla: How much time was there between hearing the scream and seeing Ruby?
Jonny: About ten minutes, I was quite far away from my cabin when I heard it.
Skyla: And what did Ruby say to you.
Jonny: Well, I asked her if she heard the scream and she said something along the lines of "Yeah, I went to find out what it was" but she had a massive scratch down her neck and her knuckles were bleeding.
Skyla: So you think that Ruby punched and possibly killed Sheila?
Jonny: Yes.

Oh my god, I'm so close to solving the case! I tell Lara straight away, but she has doubts. "Didn't Ruby seem really sweet at camp? Why would she kill Chloe's mum?"
"That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out, but we need to interview Chloe and her Dad to see if they knew anyone who hated her enough to have a good motive to kill her."

My mum calls me down for dinner then, so I have to leave this for later. We're having spinach and ricotta lasagne- my favourite. It feels like everyone is being extra cautious around me at the moment as if I'm a fragile ornament that could shatter at any moment.

"So...other than your friend's mum being found dead, how was camp?" Katy asks.
"Katy! Try and be more sensitive!" Dad cuts in, frowning at her.
"That's what happened though."
"It doesn't matter, thanks though, dad. It was good, I made a friend and we had lots of fun activities."

Nobody really talks much for the rest of the meal, and I end up leaving most of my plateful despite the efforts made to please me. I just can't stomach this all right now.

*

Tomorrow is the funeral and I'm trying to decide what to wear. I have a black dress but it's really pretty and I know that if I were to wear it again, all I'd be able to think of would be the body. I could also wear an old black skirt with one of my t-shirts and some boots...

Eventually I give up and curl up in a ball at the foot of my bed. Even the small things really seem to stress me out at the moment. Why can't I just get over it? I'm being seriously pathetic.

A gentle tap at my door startles me. I sit up abruptly as the door opens to Hannah and Katy holding a tray. "You didn't eat much, so we bought you something." On the tray is a mug of hot chocolate with whipped cream and lots of pink mini marshmallows (I've always preferred the pink ones) and a plate of toast with a thick layer of chocolate spread slathered over it generously. Katy has even written me a little note saying sorry for upsetting me earlier. My sisters may be annoying at times, but I really love them. The sweet and innocent gesture sets me off into tears again, and I place the tray down before pulling them into a big hug. "Thank you, that's the loveliest thing."
"Geez, no need to cry over toast and a hot drink, someone's emotional!" Hannah rolls her eyes at me.
"Yeah, I guess I am." I laugh.

We end up watching a Disney film together in my room until they both doze off, resting their little heads on my shoulders. It's such a calm scene that I feel truly happy for the first time in a while. I smile down at my sleeping sisters and allow myself to rest too. I'm exhausted.