Baby You Got Me | Kofi Siriboe

'Purple in the sky, cruisin' highway 85'

Ari Lennox was peacefully playing from the radio of my 2018 Jeep Wrangler. My windows were up but the sun roof was open just to let the slight breeze in from outside. I stared at the road ahead of me, lit up by the purple and pink sky above it.

It felt good to take a relaxing ride for an hour or two. Even though I had been off of work for almost three hours, I had decided to sit in my car and just breathe before I returned to the real world. A stressful day of being the president of the youth division at a fashion company and then coming home to an empty studio apartment wasn't the best right now. Before I took the road back to my complex, I pulled into an empty parking lot of an old abandoned building. I grabbed my phone from the cup holder between the seats and opened instagram. Of course there was The Shade Room going on and on about nothing, or so I thought. I had seen a picture of Kofi Siriboe with the headline "TSR: Love Jones - Kofi Siriboe out with his rumored to be bae and co-star Yvonne Orji".

My heart had dropped, only because I'm his real bae and not in a fantasizing way. Kofi and I had met at a fashion show I directed back in 2018. We had hung out from time to time since then and just continued to get to know each other. We started seeing more of each other when I started getting some opportunities to be an assistant to some costume designers on some of the episodes of his show Queen Sugar. After a year, one thing led to another and we became something and ever since then we've been very very lowkey about our relationship. To be completely honest, at first I loved it; the secrecy, the passion, the care, etc. But now it's becoming tiring. I want to be shown off and treated like a queen to the world. And don't even get me started on the tabloids constantly saying he has a new boo almost every week. No, but seriously, Kofi and I love each other but we both know that it's a price he has to pay with the fame and recognition he is starting to get.

I slip out of my thoughts even though I'm still a little heartbroken. I pull out of the empty parking lot and start heading home. As I'm driving, I'm once again letting the soothing voice of Ari calm me for the rest of the ride.

20 minutes later, I pull into my parking space reserved just for me and parked my baby for the night. I turned my led lights off, closed up whatever compartments were opened, and then closed the sun roof back. As I got out and locked the doors, my phone began to vibrate as it rung. I took it out of my jean jacket pocket and answered a facetime call from none other than Kofi himself. "Speak of the devil," I mumbled to myself as the call connected. "Hey mama." He answered with that signature smile on his face and I couldn't help but melt at the sight of it. "Hey baby." I replied and started to head into my apartment building. I did a quick dash to the elevator and started remaking through my back pack for my keys. Once I found them, I arrived on my floor and started walking towards my apartment. "You good?" I heard his voice and nodded, looking back up at him before arriving at my door. "Why are you in the dark?" I chuckled as I unlocked the door and walked into complete darkness. "Shit." I said to myself before turning the lights on.