eight

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

The following afternoon, Bucky gifted more flowers for Matilda but warned her in advance as he knocked on her door.

"Don't freeze them this time," he said.

She smiled sheepishly, hesitantly grabbing the flowers. Once she did, only giving the stems a bit of frostbite, she held them to her chest and sniffed them.

"These are lovely," she admitted. "Why are you doing this?"

"I just thought it'd be nice," he said, slowly and unsure.

"It is. Thank you. I would ask you to come in but it is cold in here."

"That's what the heat packs are for, right?" he questioned.

Her smile brightened. He wanted to come into her room, something no one ever wanted because of the temperature. She felt absolutely elated and giddy at the thought of Bucky wanting to come into her room for a reason other than training - at least, that was what she drew the line to.

"Yes, of course," she breathed out. "But I still worry about you." She stepped aside and ushered him in, closing the door behind him. "F.R.I.D.A.Y., fifteen Fahrenheit please."

The temperature increased.

Bucky raised an eyebrow. "Not in the negatives anymore? You must be really worried."

She smiled. "I could turn you into an ice cube very easily simply based on the temperature of my room, Bucky, but I do not want to. I quite enjoy your company. Is that too forward?"

Suddenly, she was nervous and frowned. The giddiness from earlier had worn off and she was nervous that she was moving too quickly. She never had a relationship before, let alone interacted with others on her home planet. Bucky was taken aback by her question. He thought he was the one being too forward, but she thought the same as well.

"No, you're not being too forward. I...enjoy your company too."

She let out a sigh of relief. "That means a lot to me. What shall we do now? Unless, you want to train?"

"Oh - well, I didn't really come here for training. We could talk?"

"Of what?" she questioned.

"Anything," he answered.

And he meant it. He didn't realize how desperate he was to simply talk to her and get to know her a little more despite her talking quite a bit about her life on her home planet when they used to train outside with her cute parasol under the sun.

"That sounds lovely," she said, sitting down on the edge of her head and patting the empty space next to her.

He sat down, facing her and their knees grazed each other as their bodies turned to one another. She was nervous again, and he could tell, but he was sure he wasn't doing so hot either. He was still a gifted assassin, but quiet missions of seduction to grab an item was never his forte.

"Thank you once more for the flowers. On my home planet, we do not have flowers, so this is very lovely. Though, I am not sure what purpose they serve," she voiced.

"Well, all flowers have meaning," he said.

"Oh? Well, what of the flowers you have gifted me today?"

Bucky glanced at the lavender roses. He didn't know much about the meaning behind flowers, but he did know roses were more important to couples. "Oh - uh - I'm not sure. You'll have to ask someone."

She hummed. "F.R.I.D.A.Y., what is the meaning behind the flowers from today?"

"Lavender roses imply enchantment, wonder, splendor, mystery, and love at first sight, ma'am!" She sounded chipper as she relayed the information to the two humans in the room.

Bucky felt incredibly hot in the cold room. He looked at Matilda, calculating her response. He didn't know the meaning behind lavender roses, but perhaps, the universe had drawn him to pick those.

"They're very pretty," Matilda simply said. "I appreciate it."

She appreciated him, and she wondered if the message was clear.