ten

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

Once again, Bucky found himself prepping a glass of iced lemonade for Matilda. They were planning on training in the gardens once more, but Bucky had a strong feeling she was going to completely ignore him and attempt to distract him, which always worked. He was smiling at the thought of watching the shadows on her face as the sun hit the parasol over her face.

He left the kitchen with a glass of iced lemonade in his hand, making his way to the gardens where she was already waiting for him on the beach chair with a parasol over her. It looked as though she was dressed for the beach, and to her, it was as hot as a summer day on a Florida beach. She had large sunglasses over her eyes, and Bucky was sure Pepper had gifted those to her as well. The freckled woman spoiled Matilda too much with the excuse that it was because she took care of Morgan when really, it was because Pepper liked spoiling people like how Tony spoiled the others and because it was really more of Morgan taking care of Matilda.

He sat next to her on the only other beach chair in the gardens because it became his chair, as the one she was sitting on was hers. It was an unspoken rule, but everyone in the facility understood. He handed her the glass and she smiled, fanning herself with her free hand as she gripped the glass and sipped from it.

"Look how beautiful it is today," she said.

And the game of distracting him so she wouldn't have to train began. He bit back a smile because he didn't want anyone else to see it. He felt others had to earn his smile after all he'd been through, but she had earned him simply by being herself.

James Buchanan Barnes was extremely devoted, loyal, headstrong, and patriotic with a strong moral center. He was a good and close friend to Steve Rogers during their youth, helping him when he got into fights. They had been best friends since childhood, and they still were, even if Steve was an old man in a retirement home now.

As the Winter Soldier, he was brutal and ruthless with an utter lack of conscience, and remorselessly followed HYDRA's every order. He was a monster who murdered without a single thought and never hesitated.

After being cured of HYDRA's programming, Bucky came to terms with his past. As the White Wolf, he had lived quietly in Wakanda, where he spent his time entertaining children and farming until T'Challa asked for his assistance in the Battle of Wakanda against Thanos's children. When presented with a replacement cybernetic arm, Barnes, recognizing its meaning, didn't hesitate to join his allies in the battle. After the battle, Steve had gone back to the past to return the stones but came back an old man. Bucky was all right with that, but it had hurt because he had no one.

No one knew him as well as Steve did, and no one believed in him as much as Steve did, and while Matilda knew nothing of his past, he felt comfortable with her. She turned her head toward him, smiling as her sunglasses drooped lower on the bridge of her nose, revealing the edge of her eyes.

"Bucky?" she called, luring him out of his trance.

"Yeah," he breathed, "I'm here."