fourteen

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

Bucky and Matilda went to visit Steve as promised. His retirement home was one of the best that New York had to offer all because Pepper insisted on the best of the best.

"I'm Matilda."

"Buck, you didn't tell me you were bringing a girl!" Steve exclaimed.

Bucky smiled faintly. "I wanted it to be a surprise."

"Well, I'm surprised. How'd you two meet? Wait, don't tell me. You're a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent," guessed Steve.

Matilda shook her head. "I am what Sam calls an alien. Is that correct?" she asked, looking over at Bucky for support.

"In simple terms, yeah. She's from another planet," added Bucky.

"Oh, another Thor," said Steve. "Sounds fun. Sit down, guys. We have loads to talk about."

The trio began to talk. Naturally, Matilda didn't know much about their inside jokes or stories they told, but she didn't mind. She enjoyed seeing Bucky happy and smiling. It was a side of him she had never witnessed before. It didn't hurt her because she knew how important Steve was important to him.

"I tried to talk him out of enlisting in the United States Army because of his physical condition and poor health, but he wouldn't listen. What a punk," scoffed Bucky.

"You're still a jerk even when I'm old," retorted Steve.

Matilda smiled at the two.

"We focused on destroying HYDRA's army units, tanks, and other facilities, making sure that they were being diminished while enhancing our own armies. I was their sniper. We were on a mission in the Alps. The memory gets a little fuzzy around here. It always has but some of it has come back," said Bucky.

"We were going to take a train that was carrying Zola and interrogate him about HYDRA's leader," interrupted Steve. "On the train, we were attacked by a team of soldiers Zola sent to kill us. We fought them off, and just as we thought we were in the clear, another one came. He shot one of their weapons and it just barely missed Bucky, but it blew a hole in the side of the train. He was using my shield to try to shoot him, but he shot first and the blast knocked him off the train. Bucky grabbed onto the damaged train railing and I just remember being so scared. There he was, my best friend dangling for his life. I tried to reach me and I was so close, but then the railing snapped. But, along the way, we still managed to get reunited," said Steve. "There was a lot of drama on the way, but hey, I have my best pal here with me."

"You're getting sappy with old age," Bucky teased.

Steve rolled his eyes. "Enough about us old men going on. What about you, Matilda? What brings you here?"

"To earth?" she questioned. "Well, I've never left the confines of my room on my home planet, so I struck a deal with my father. I would be allowed to explore earth for thirty days, then I would have to go back."

"Oh... How long do you have?"

"Eight days," she answered. "Though truthfully, I do not wish to leave. It's quite a predicament."

"Not the way I see it. You don't want to go, so don't," said Steve. "It's as simple as that. Matilda, I've done a lot of stupid things - Bucky can confirm - but I always regretted not going back to the love of my life. But when I got the chance, I took it. You have a chance now, so I think you should take it."

"That is very good advice, Steve," she complimented. "I suppose you're right."

Bucky smiled at Steve, who smiled back and nodded. "Come on, we'll come back another time, Stevie. You look ready to drop dead."

He rolled his eyes. "Real funny. You're not getting rid of me so soon."

Bucky grinned. "Good."