eleven

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

⋅𖥔⋅━✶━⋅𖥔⋅

It was the seventeenth day of the thirty days she had on earth. She reminded him of that in the morning when they met up in order to train in the gardens. Really, their training was more of a date. She always distracted him, but only because he let her.

"You're leaving soon?" he questioned.

He hoped it didn't sound too eager, but he really was eager to find out because he didn't want her to leave. She looked sad. The glitter in her eyes dimmed down as she looked at him, and he simply wanted to grab her and kiss her forehead and reassure her everything would be all right, but even he didn't know if they would be.

"Yes," she whispered. "I am afraid I have been shackled to my home. It is my duty to return, Bucky."

"The last person important to me left because of his duty," said Bucky. "I don't want you to go."

She was absolutely speechless at his admittance. She was a nobody on her planet, but she felt like a queen in his presence. Earth was not her home, but he made it so it was. She was torn between two different worlds and customs, but Bucky Barnes made her feel safe.

"I do not want to go either," she admitted.

"Then stay."

"I can't. They will come here for me if I do not return."

"Pretty sure we can hold them off," he commented.

She offered him a faint smile. "I do not belong here. This is not my planet."

"This isn't my time," he retorted. "But I'm still here. You're not happy there. You talk about duty, but not about your life there. Are you happy?"

"I - "

"I know when you're lying. I can tell," he interrupted.

She gazed down at the ground for a moment, ashamed because she was about to lie. "No, I am not happy there. I am happy here with you."

"Then stay. You don't owe them anything."

"You're right. I do not owe them anything, but are they not my family?" she questioned.

"I don't know, Matilda. Are they?"

She paused. "I... I do not know."

"I think that answers your question," he dryly said.

"I suppose it does."

Noticing her down demeanor, he laid his hand on her thigh before awkwardly patting it since he decided laying it there was far too intimate.

"Let's go get lunch in the kitchen," he suggested.

"There is a kitchen?" she questioned.

"It's only for Avengers, but if you're with me, it'll be fine. I can make us something simple to eat," he said.

She smiled, putting her hand over his hand on her thigh. "That sounds wonderful."

He took her up to the private kitchens, setting up the cutting board with vegetables and a pot of boiling water.

"I was born on March 10, 1917, as the oldest of four kids in Brooklyn."I did good in school, played some sports, made friends. I was just a normal kid. I met Steve and defended him when some punks were trying to steal his money.  We were best of friends after that, always together and inseparable. The punk never knew when to run from a fight so I always ended up saving his butt."

"Why are you telling me this?" Matilda questioned, tilting her head to the side.

"So that you'll tell me more about yourself," he answered.

"It's nothing fun."

"I never said it had to be fun," he retorted.

"I do not remember the day I was born. It is not an important matter when you are born female on my planet," she added.

"That why you don't have names either?" he pointed out.

She nodded. "That is correct. I am firstborn to the kingdom, but I am a female so I cannot rule. I am to be wedded once my thirty days are over."

"You're going to give up your life that?"

"I've never known anything besides that," she answered.

"And now?" he asked hopefully.

She sent him a shy smile. "I know a lot more."