Chapter 6 - More Island Dilemmas

Tom stared moodily at his coffee. He was sure it had gone cold by now, but he didn't care much. The brown liquid reflected his frowning face back at him. He felt too tired to even go and try to heat it back up.

For the past few days, he'd tried to let the island's weird situation sit still, hoping things would blow over. They hadn't, but Tom was hoping they had. He didn't know that things were far from over.

- (Two days before)

Freya hummed as she sat, hands folded primly in her lap, staring at her reflection in her wooden vanity. She closed one eye and delicately brushed blue eyeshadow over the lid with the best of care. She did the same with the other.

Putting on her usual woolen green-ivory deer sweater dress, Freya brushed her hair with as much care as she had applied her eyeshadow. She flicked it off her shoulders as she exited the house.

Vivi had gifted her some seeds the day before, from the new marketer in the square, Leif. Freya always liked the smell of flowers, and she was working on the idea of pressing them so she could hang them up in a frame in her house. Rosie and Vivi, Freya smiled at the memory, had decided on some lovely pink lily seeds for her. They'd also brought some plant food along with the seeds, another generous gift. Freya turned to look for her watering can as she left the house, knowing it was time to water her flowers.

For a second, Freya was very puzzled. Her watering can, always sitting in its place next to her flowerpot under her window, was gone. But so were her flowers.

"What?" She gasped aloud, looking at the five pears that were now sitting where her lilies had once been. She grabbed three and flung them behind her, hearing the soft clunk of them meeting the grass. It was no use. Freya's shoulders sagged in disappointment. The flowers were gone. The dirt looked like it had been dug through before being haphazardly patted back into place, it was all mussed up.

Freya first felt sad - she'd been so delighted with her gift. Then anger overtook her swiftly, who could be messing with her flowers? She knew that none of the villagers would do this to her, no matter how rough and wild the jock villagers could be, she knew they could never be so rude. She also knew the bugs on the island were gone, a bit of gossip picked up from Wendy. And she also knew that when the bugs had been on the island, none of them were interested in eating flowers.

But where was her watering can?

Freya walked swiftly around the house, her eyes scanning the grass. She finally ran to the trees, shaking them, thinking possibly, maybe, the watering can had ended up in them somehow. From her peripheral vision, something shone like silver and blinded her eye. She turned, growing more irritated by the minute. Then her vision cleared and her mouth sagged open.

Her watering can, glowing in the sun, was on top of her roof. How could it have possibly gotten there? Freya thought, completely aghast. She was much too short to get on the roof, and that was dangerous work for anyone, especially a lady like her. She glared at the offending object as though maybe her anger might make it come down. When it didn't, she decided she needed a tall object. She walked off in search of help.

- (The same day of Freya's missing flowers)

"Wooa-oo-oh-oh!"

Roald blinked owlishly as Bob smashed face first into the soft grass.

"Hey, b-b-buddy! Watch out!"

"Thanks, Bob." Bob glared at the pint-sized, blue-haired man staring at him. Though he may be older than Bob himself, Roald was like a funny child in Bob's mind.

"Sorry." Roald held his hands behind his back, looking guiltily at Bob.

"I slipped... what the heck?" Bob kept scraping his foot across the stone path Vivi had constructed. Bob's foot slid across the stone like it was sliding on ice. There was a slick schppp sound as Bob began revving up the speed of his shoe.