𝙢𝙤𝙗𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙖 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙜𝙤𝙡𝙙 | 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝟹/𝟾

[photo: from twitch con. I'm not sure if this in particular was filmed, I just found this from google | wc: 1,242 | note: thank you all for so many reads/votes! I know this book isn't extremely popular or anything, but to have so many votes is so reassuring that it isn't just people opening the book and leaving but people that really like my writing and stick around. Also, seeing a lot of the same names or new names that continue to comment is so heartwarming and I really appreciate it. Thank you all again and I hope you enjoy!]

The last few days were spent as usual: collecting debts, returning them to Jonathan, and then getting pennies in return—figuratively speaking.

The market for Schlatt Coins was over saturated and there was hardly anything you could buy with them anymore, but he was determined to keep them as your sole form of payment, insisting that the value would only go up. Now, you just bet them carelessly, though still only one at a time, on pool and poker games.

"We've got a new man on payroll," Connor was speaking lowly to Carson, and by the way they were talking you could tell you weren't supposed to hear.

Choosing to not involve yourself in their private matters, you walk out of the main door on the side of the building and decide to make your way to Ted Nivison Enterprises, though it was against Jonathan's rules in every way possible.

If it was not absolutely necessary, you wouldn't even consider it, but they were the only place willing to hire someone with your professional background and you needed the money to survive.

It was quite a long walk, but you didn't mind and enjoyed using the time to observe the things that were happening in the city. You couldn't afford the metro ride, anyways.

With surprisingly little to see on your walk, and no debt collectors, as you pushed the glass door open to the building you wondered where everyone in the business was.

Noah greeted you at the door to Ted's office, "Hey, Y/N. How's business?"

"It's been good," you lied, though he knew you only came by when you needed more cash, "I've been hearing talks of a merger! Just here to wish Ted some good luck with that."

It wasn't a perfect alibi, but Noah decided not to question it, "Best of luck to you guys, too. He's got someone in there at the moment, though, if you want to wait you can take a seat."

"Who is it?" You regretted asking as the words fell from your lips, knowing it did not concern you, but at least it sounded like simple small talk as you took a seat.

"Travis and a few others. You know how it is," he shrugs, unable to elaborate further.

Your fingers found the ledge of the chair and noticed that they were not peeling at the seams or wobbly as were the ones at Schlatt & Co. and, in fact, the entire building was much more new and modern.

Most of the rooms had floor to ceiling windows, the walls were a white that was so bright it almost seemed to radiate light, and Ted's office was encased in frosted glass that only allowed you to see vague shapes from behind it. Meanwhile, the walls of Schlatt & Co. were dingy, if you were able to see them through the cigar smoke that lingered in the main room, and the only source of light was from the three industrial lights above the pool table situated in the back corner.

You shuddered at the thought of the dirty nature of the other building and hoped that in the merger, this would become your new office. As the thought crossed your mind, you shook it off, doubting that Jonathan would ever want to be in such a transparent place of business.

Your eyes poured over the frosted glass as a muffled voice, one that you recognized, emerged, "So, when do I start?"

Unable to prevent the name as it fell from your mouth, you stood and walked towards the door, "Ty?"

Noah tried to stop you, but you were already throwing open the door to find Travis, Ted, Ty, and—What was Ty doing here?

Ted stood at his desk, "Noah?"

"Sorry boss," he spoke, grabbing your arm to guide you out of the office, but you harshly pulled away from him.

"Ty, what the hell are you doing here?" You had warned him against this only a few days ago, and still felt strongly that he shouldn't be in this line of work.

"You're not supposed to be here either!" He accused, rather naively, his eyes darting to a figure beside you.

You registered the other people in the room as a body on your left stepped back as if to hide—Cooper.

"Cooper? You're here too? What the hell is going on here?" You knew that the same rules that applied to you applied to him, and though you admittedly weren't supposed to be there, something bigger seemed to be happening between them.

"Take a seat, I'll explain everything," Ted gestured to the chairs in front of his desk, but you shake your head.

"I'll stand," your tone was more stern than fully intended, but got your general sentiment across.

"Have it your way," Ted shrugged and sat in his chair, waving off Noah who quickly left and closed the door, "Where to start?"

"Start with Ty," you demanded, "What the f*ck were you thinking? Hiring a kid! What kind of—?"

"Hiring? Ty doesn't work for me," he crossed his arms against his chest and leaned back in his chair, unhappy with your outburst but attempting to be understanding, "And I suggest you watch your tone. You do know who you're speaking with, right?"

"Right. Sorry, I just... I heard him ask when he starts?" Every answer you received led you to a million more questions.

"He was pitching his services to us. I don't have him on payroll," Ted explained, his eyes narrowing as he continued, "Though, I suppose you must not know, then."

Your puzzled expression spoke volumes and you searched Ty's eyes for an answer to what that meant, but his gaze quickly hid from you and occupied itself on the floor tiles.

"Ty works for Schlatt and Co. now," he saw the fury in your eyes, but only for a moment, as you turned on your heels and stormed out of the office, no longer concerned with Cooper's presence, or your own.

As your feet hit the sidewalk, determined to make it to your destination, though you were not exactly sure what your plan would be when you got there, Cooper reached your side, "Hey, could you do me a solid?"

"What?" You had a feeling you already knew where this was going, but it was not something you were worried about.

"Don't tell the boss I was here," he let out one short laugh, almost masquerading as a scoff, and added, "I mean, neither of us were supposed to be there. We'll just keep each other's secret?"

"Sure, Cooper. But it won't matter anyways," you picked up your pace.

"What? Of course it matters! These are our jobs, our livelihoods," he matched your steps, leaning into the conversation.

You shook your head, "Your job and livelihood. I'm quitting."