𝙢𝙤𝙗𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙖 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙜𝙤𝙡𝙙 | 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝟾/𝟾

[photo: from the podcast recording at the misfits hq | wc: 1,137 | note: thank you all again so much for all of the support on this series, it was so much fun to write and I love reading all of the comments/observations! I'm looking forward to finishing up some of the other stories and doing more one shots. Just a reminder that my requests are open, I have about 15 drafts right now so it might take me a while to get to new requests, but sometimes it takes new prompts for inspiration to strike so feel free to send in any ideas you may have and enjoy the series finale!]

Your phone rang incessantly in your pocket as you fumbled to get it out. Reading the name, you didn't hesitate to answer, "Hey!"

"I sold the company," he said bluntly, yet there was a note of relief in his voice that you hardly recognized from how long it had been since you heard it.

"Sold? To who—Ted?" You were shocked, still surprised to be hearing from him after a day of what seemed like radio silence at Schlatt and Co.

"I'll explain everything later, but you were right," he stammered to figure out his wording, but managed to convey his point, "Meet me at Mullaly Park as soon as you can get there."

The click from the call being ended was short and without echo, as blunt as his statements were. You were only a few blocks away from the park, and found your intrigue was guiding your steps and pacing as instantly as he requested for you to meet him.

The cool morning air chilled your nose as you passed by small sections of grass and trees contrasting the cityscape behind them. The dew had just begun to settle on the leaves and blades of grass.

Within minutes, the park was in sight and you saw him sitting on a bench beneath a quiet oak tree, simply admiring the clouds.

"Jonathan?" You approached him carefully, so as to not disturb his thoughts.

He stood to greet you and extended a hand, "Y/N! I'm so glad you could make it. Come, walk with me."

You wrapped yourself around his arm, staying close to his side as you began walking down the small cement walkway, "So..."

"So," he took your hint in stride, "I sold the company. You're free, I'm free... We're free."

"Free," you repeated, releasing an airy chuckle and squeezing his arm, "But, why?"

"You were right. You were always right, and I was so stuck in my ways I never saw it before now. This business isn't for me, our friends, and it sure as hell isn't for you," he kept his eyes to the sky, only occasionally glancing at you to find your gaze was glued to his face. He stopped and turned to you, "I've got enough money out of it for all of them to live comfortably without having to do this again. Enough for us to, as well. If you're interested?"

You nod, at first only slightly, but as you begin to register all of the implications of what he's saying it becomes a little more frantic, "Yes, of course I'm interested!"

"Good," He smiles and leans down to kiss your cheek.

"But," you started, hearing him jokingly mumble 'oh no,' before continuing, "You can't just pull out of the business, it's too dangerous. You'll have people after you—"

"Y/N, I know. Trust me. But the alternative is staying, and I would argue that's more dangerous," he sighs, though he knows you also have a point.

"I guess I'll have to let you win that argument, then," you put your hands on his chest as his arms snake around your waist.

"So," you began, letting your hands move to rest comfortably on his shoulders, "What does this mean for us?"

"It means this," he interrupted your confused expression with a kiss. While you had already shared in a moment like this before on his rooftop, there was something so much more perfect about this one that it almost felt like your first. There was no hesitation, no concern for the past, and the excitement of the future all at once.

He pulled back, leaving you breathless, and basked in the silence before speaking just above a whisper, "Let's go home."

You knew that he meant his home, but there was something hidden in his inflection that made you believe, even if fleetingly, that it was now your shared home. Leaving High Bridge was a dream of yours, though you never anticipated that it would be like this.

As your walk to his car began, you prompted, "How does it feel? To be a free man?"

He chuckled as his hand found yours, "It feels right. I don't know how else to say it, but, for the first time in my life, everything feels perfect. If it weren't for you, I don't know that I would've ever found or experienced this."

"I feel the same," you kept your eyes to the ground, but when you glanced up, you found his were glued to you.

He quickly averted his gaze, as if there was the possibility that you had not seen him, and stopped just in front of his car, "Y/N?"

"Yes?" You paused in your footsteps, already having begun to walk to the passenger side.

"Y'know, this won't be as easy as I wish it would be. We'll have to give up a lot—with people after me, we won't be able to live in that house, or even in this city, and a lot of the luxuries of—" he began to ramble, ready to extend a full list of all of the risks, but stopped himself, knowing that you were all too aware of the possible consequences, "I guess what I'm trying to say is, you don't have to do this. I don't want to put you in any more danger than I have. If you don't want to do this with me—"

"I do. I'd do anything and put up with anything if it means we can stay together. You've given up a lot for me, and I can do the same," you concluded, continuing your walk to the passenger side and taking your seat.

As he pulled out, you watched the sunrise as the sky shifted to a beautiful gradient of purples, oranges, and yellows, something that resembled a Renaissance painting. The clouds formed in wispy streaks and moved leisurely across the canvas.

You looked at him and then brought your gaze back to the sky, a new day dawning, and countless opportunities ahead of you. It would not be an easy future for you both, but it would certainly be a happy one.