Chapter Five

After a good rest that night, the children and the Beavers left at dawn to start their journey to find Aslan and Aria. Mara had no idea how she should feel about meeting her parents. She had very mixed emotions about it. Mara's ankle was better but she still had a limp in her walk, making it very difficult to keep up with the group. Mr. Beaver said, "Come on, kids. Keep up." Peter said, as he helped Mara onto his back since her ankle was still injured, "I swear, if he tells us to keep up one more time, I will turn him into a fluffy hat." Susan helped Mara onto Peter's back then had Lucy get onto hers so they would catch up better. The group made it to an edge of a cliff that gave them the view of all of Narnia. Mr. Beaver said, as Mara got of Peter's back, "Now, Aslan and Aria's camp is near the Stone Table, just across the frozen river." Peter replied, wrapping his arm around Mara's shoulders, "River?" Mrs. Beaver said, "Oh, the river's been frozen solid for a hundred years, dear." Mara said, sighing then winced at the slight pain from her ankle, "It's so far."

Peter gave his friend a small smile, he knew that she was still in pain from her ankle. Mrs. Beaver chuckled and said, "It's the world, dearie. Did you expect it to be small?" Susan replied, as she walked past the group with Lucy's hand in her, "Smaller." Peter knelt down to help Mara get on his back. Mara gently got onto Peter's back, wincing again at her ankle. Mr. Beaver said, turning back to them, "Come on, humans! While we're still young!" Mara said to Peter, "What was it that you said before, Peter? That you'll turn him into a hat? I'll join in with you. How about a coat instead?" Mr. Beaver said, "Hurry up, come on!" Lucy said, from her spot by Susan, "He's getting a little bossy." Mrs. Beaver said, pointing behind them, "No, behind you!" The group turned behind them to see a sleigh coming behind them. Susan said, her eyes widening, "It's her!" The sound of bells gave them the hint that it was a sleigh. The beavers led them into what looked like a cave. Mr. Beaver said, leading them inside, "Inside!" Peter gently sat Mara down next to him, checking on her ankle.

The group inched back from the entrance when a shadow of a figure came into view. It stood for a few moments then walked away, causing the group to let out of the breath they were holding. Lucy whispered, "Maybe she's gone." Peter whispered, causing Mara to stop him by placing her hand on his arm, "I'll go check." Mr. Beaver whispered, protesting, "No! You're no good to Narnia dead! *He went to go see but his wife held him back*" Mrs. Beaver whispered, "Well, neither are you, Beaver." Mr. Beaver gave his wife a comforting squeeze as he held her hand, giving her a small smile. He went to do a double check, leaving the others in suspense. About a few minutes later, he came back, causing Mara to let out a squeak and Lucy to scream. Mr. Beaver said, with a wide grin, "Come on, come on! I hope you've been good because there's someone here to see you!" The children came out, helping each other out of the cave. They couldn't believe their eyes when they saw who was in the sleigh, it was Father Christmas. Or in other countries, Santa Clause.

When his eyes landed on Mara, his hand clenched into a fist and he pounded it on his chest, bowing to her. He said, "Princess Amara. I knew the snow was melting for a reason, you have grown from the last time I saw you when you were just a babe." Peter leaned over to her and whispered, "You know Father Christmas?" Mara whispered, her eyes widening, "Apparently." Lucy said, as she walked over to Father Christmas, "Merry Christmas, sir." Father Christmas replied, smiling at the young girl, "It certainly is, Lucy, since you have arrived." Susan said, getting fed up with all this nonsense, "Look, I've put up a lot since I got here but this......" Peter covered his sister's mouth, causing her to glare at him, and said, with an apologetic look, "We thought you were the Witch." Father Christmas took off his gloves and said, nodding, "Yes, yes. I'm sorry about that, but in my defense, I have been driving one of these longer than the Witch has." Susan said, "I thought there was no Christmas in Narnia." Father Christmas replied, "No, not for a long time. That hope you have brought, Your Majesties and Your Highness, is finally starting to weaken the Witch's power. Still, I dare say you could do so with these."

He smiled as he grabbed a bag sack from the back of his sleigh and placed it on the ground. Lucy's eyes widened and said, smiling, "Presents!" Father Christmas chuckled and said, as he took out a bottle of liquid then a dagger, "The juice of the fire-flower. One drop will any injury. And though I hope you never have to use it." Lucy turned to Mara and said to her, "I can use it to help your ankle, Mara!" Father Christmas turned to Mara, raising his eyebrow. Peter said to the man, "She hurt her ankle on the way out of the Beaver's house when we were being followed by the witch's wolves." Father Christmas nodded in understanding. Lucy said to him, after giving Mara a drop of the liquid, "Thank you, sir. I think I could be brave enough." Mara made a face after gulping the drop down. Father Christmas replied, "I'm sure you could but battles are ugly affairs."

Lucy stepped back as Father Christmas went back to his sack, getting out a bow and arrows. He said, calling upon Susan, "Susan. *He gave her the bow and arrows* Trust in this bow and it will not easily miss." Susan replied, "What happened to 'battles are ugly affairs'?" Father Christmas chuckled and said, giving her a horn, "Though you don't have a problem making yourself heard, blow on this and wherever you are, help will come." He went back to his sack, taking out a shield and sword. He said, as Peter stepped forward, "Peter. The time to use these may be near at hand." Mara watched as Father Christmas went back to his sack. He said, taking out an sword and a bow and arrows, "Now, I know you haven't been around Narnia to use these but the sword was once your father's and the bow and arrows were once your mother's. I can see that you still have your necklace. That necklace will allow you to change into your lioness form when you need it. Your father had a spell placed on it so you would be protected from the Witch and that your lioness form would be kept at bay. Now, you can use it to its advantage." Mara replied, smiling as she took the weapons, "Thank you, sir." Father Christmas said, "These are tools, not toys. Bear them well and use them well. Now, I must be off. Winter is almost over and things do pile up when you've been gone for a hundred years."

He chuckled again as he placed his sack in the back of his sleigh and got into his sleigh. He turned back to the children and said, "Oh, thank you for bringing the princess back to us and to her parents. Bringing back has given Narnia a better chance of living and may have given Aslan and Aria a chance at parenthood and to lift their spirits. Long live Aslan and Aria! Merry Christmas!" He smiled at them before whipping his reindeer and disappeared. Lucy shouted, waving goodbye, "Merry Christmas!" The others did the same, she turned back to them. She said to her older siblings, "I told you he was real." Peter said, causing everyone to turn to him, "He said winter was almost over. You know what means......" Mara said, her eyes widening with fear, "No more ice."