XIX

Run run run.

I mentally exclaimed as I forced my legs to move against their will. My muscles were cramping and my head was throbbing like there was no tomorrow. I wanted to stop to breathe in as I felt my lungs about to collapse on me but I knew that if I missed one second of running, I won't be able to live another.

I don't know why I thought it was a good idea for me to go for a walk at 3 in the morning. He wasn't supposed to be out and about anyway.

How come I didn't hear of this?

Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes as I felt a hand pull me backwards.

'He caught me. He caught me. I'm going to die,' I thought as the silhouette let out a wicked chuckle.

"Who do you think you are, trying to escape me? Do you not remember me?" he asked. Every word he spurt out was laced with venom, making countless shivers run down my spine.

"Do you?" he asked a bit more loudly as he tightened his grip on my wrist. I abruptly nodded. My eyes then caught sight of the gun attached to his pocket. All I needed was to buy myself some time. "You're coming with me whether you like it or not," he threatened menacingly.

I nodded again as I followed him knowing that I don't stand a chance. If he pulls the strings he did 3 years ago, my loved ones' lives will once again be on the line.

Just then, the shine of the gun caught my eye again. I kept discreetly eyeing it and trying to find a loophole that would work in my favor. As soon as we passed by the darkest shadows, I acted. Before he even knew it, I had the gun grasped in my hand.

He chuckled again. "Slow down there, Val. You won't do anything. You don't have the guts so I suggest you give the gun back now or I'm getting it back the hard way."

I shook my head. "I will seriously kill you if you don't let me go."

He let out an evil laugh.

"Are you threatening me? Last I checked, I still managed to ruin your life 3 years ago. You do not stand a chance," he threatened.

I took a few steps backwards and he slowly followed.

"I will shoot you if you keep coming closer. Stop coming closer!" I yelled.

He sighed. "Val, I don't take orders, I give them," he said as I realized that he was starting to get angry. He took a few steps closer to me, making me pull the trigger at his leg. He fell to the ground with a groan as his eyes widened in shock.

Quickly, I turned around and ran out of his sight as fast as I could. I didn't know where my legs were taking me but I knew that I ran for what felt like countless hours until I came to a halt. A guarded, familiar mansion came to sight before I snuck in and hid in one of the corners and passed out.

Thank you so much for 4K! The past few weeks haven't been the greatest so I might have to take a break until I sort myself out. I'm so grateful for the attention that this book has been receiving for the past few months. Thank you so much for reading! See you when I see you :)