XXI

I followed Damian inside his mansion and he ushered for me to sit down on the first sofa we ran into. I don't know why he's giving me the chance to explain myself after what I did to him.

I don't know why I even felt obligated to explain anything to him. I didn't when we were still married and in love, so why was I willing to do so now? Is it the guilt? Or maybe the need to speak to someone after my fallout with Ava?

I had yet to speak to her and apologize. Although let's be real, I think that she owes me an apology more than I owe her one.

But I knew her well enough to know not to anticipate anything. Her pride was too important for her to lose over an apology.

"Begin," he spoke callously. He looked like he doubted that I had anything new to add to the story.

Good to know how much trust he had in me.

"I might have lied when I said that I came here with the purpose of informing you of everything."

He raised a taunting eyebrow. "Wish I can say I'm surprised but I really am not. Why are you here?"

"It's not a complete lie though. It does have something to do with..our past."

He motioned for me to continue as his eyes continued to roam around my messy state. It felt like I could read what's going on inside his head.

Why does she look like this?

"I'm hoping you running off here won't land me in some trouble with the law."

I scoffed but the words I hope so too still managed to cross my brain.

"I was being chased by someone. He's a.. very dangerous man. In fact, I had to shoot him in order to escape him."

He tensed.

"You shot someone?" the words were so low that they could pass as whispers.

"I made sure it was not a fatal wound. Besides, I know he has people who are willing to do everything to help him," I mumbled the last part.

"Where is the gun now?" he asked next. I straightened up in alarm.

"It was in my hand when I came here. It might be somewhere outside?" I suggested although my heart was palpitating at the realization that the gun wasn't within my grasp. What if I lost it? What if it's no longer here with me and it's going to land me in trouble?

He sighed before he told me to wait and stood up to tell one of his guards outside to probably be on the lookout for it. My head stayed down as I stared at my interlocked fingers.

Seriously, what am I doing here?

I waited silently for him to come back when the front door suddenly barged open and in walked a man whom I haven't seen since I had left.

"Guess who's back?" he yelled excitedly, not noticing me there yet. Damian seemed to have heard the familiar voice and quickly made his way back in.

"Oh God, not you again," he said teasingly but I could see the happy glint in his eyes for finally seeing his friend again.

Looks like we're going to have to wait before I have to tell Damian anything new.