XVII

Damian

"You don't know anything!"

Those 4 words played in my head over and over again like a broken radio that I wanted nothing more than to be rid of.

I never knew anything. I never knew how I wronged her or what I did to make her cheat on me. I never knew why she easily was able to let go of me and flee. As far as I know, I treated her as best as I could. We were not perfect and we had our fair share of arguments. Still, that does not justify her wanting someone else. Especially since around the time that thing happened, we were on really good terms.

Her deep brown eyes, however, when she said those 4 words reminded me of the day everything unfolded. The same look in her eyes was there when I tried to get everything out of her.

3 years ago

"I love you, you know that, right?" I was surprised when my wife suddenly hugged me after I put my work attire on and blurted out these words. It's not like we never said that to each other, but it was so random and abrupt. She's not exactly a morning person and was never one to throw the words for no reason. Despite that, I pushed the surprise behind as I smiled down at her.

"I love you too, you know that, right?" I said back to which she smiled. She was not acting like her usual self and it looked like there was a lot on her mind so I put my palm on her forehead to check for a fever.

"Are you okay?"

She laughed softly and nodded.

"Don't overthink it." I decided not to pester her about it and nodded. If there was something bothering her, she'd tell me, right?

Fast forward a few hours later, I rubbed my eyes as I stared at the documents in front of me. I wanted nothing more than to go home and perhaps sleep the day away. I wanted to make sure that Valerie was actually okay and not sick and trying to hide it from me. She always had the tendency to do that. We did message each other while I was at work and she didn't seem off but I still had that asinine concern in the back of my head.

"Sir, there's something you need to see," my personal assistant barged into my office and erratically said these words to me.

"Calm down, why do you look like you have seen a ghost?"

"Check your emails."

I furrowed my eyebrows as I did what I was told.

I received a video from an unknown sender. Even the email address did not give the sender's identity away and there was no subject.

Francis, my personal assistant, nodded at the thing he wanted me to see. I clicked on it and waited for it to load.

"Look at what we caught happening not even an hour ago," a disguised voice cackled as the footage started rolling. I saw a woman walking confidently towards a shady looking building. It didn't take long for me to realize that she's not any woman but my wife, Valerie.

The camera caught her unbuttoning the first few buttons of her shirt and untying her silky black hair as she neared the locked door. The door soon opened and showed a silhouette of a man. She stood still, seemingly exchanging words with him for a few seconds before she entered. The door was then shut with no sign of her.

"It took her 2 hours to finally come out of there," the taunting voice said as the video showed her coming out of the shady place with her clothes all wrinkled and her hair all messy.

I wasted no time in exiting the video after that.

"How many people saw this?" I asked, trying to stay as calm as possible.

"Everyone here received it."

I took in a deep breath to calm my nerves.

"Make sure they all delete it and leave no trace of its existence, you hear? I will not tolerate anyone who speaks of this."

"Yes," he responded before bolting out of my office. I leaned into the table to keep myself steady and calm.

Valerie would never do this. I will not jump into conclusions. I just know that she will have an explanation to it when I ask her about it, I told myself over and over again.

But I was wrong.

I barged out of the building and immediately went to seek her out at home because I couldn't live with my brain making up scenarios without asking her about it first.

The first thing I saw when I reached our home was her with a luggage in her grasp.

She wanted to leave without telling me.

"Valerie, what are you doing?"

"I'm leaving," she responded emotionlessly. Her eyes. Even though she was trying to wipe all emotions from her face, I could still see through her eyes. It looked like she was trapped in there. Trapped in her head with her wild thoughts with no chance of escape.

I tensed at the sight of that.

"Valerie, you're not hearing yourself right now. What are you saying?"

She stayed quiet at that. Just a few hours ago, everything was normal between us. Not long after, I saw her attempting to leave without telling me.

"I can't stay with you anymore," she finally said. I saw her move a few steps away before I caught her wrist.

"Valerie, we can talk this out."

"I know you saw the video," she said monotonously. 

"I did but I know you have some explanation to it, right? I trust you, Valerie. Tell me what actually happened."

"But I don't deserve your trust," she responded. I jolted back at her answer.

"What are you saying?"

"The video didn't lie, Damian. I am not a good person. I'm a cheater," she laughed humorlessly as she walked off before pausing.

"Oh, and I left the divorce papers on the bed. Goodbye, Damian."

I started walking after her before I saw my father step in in front of me.

"You're not about to go chase after a cheater, are you?"

"But she-"

"She confirmed that she cheated. Don't you dare go after her," he reprimanded.

But I couldn't just leave it at that. I rounded him and walked a few steps towards her before five of my father's guards surrounded me and caught a hold of me.

"Let go, I need to talk to her. Leave me alone."

"Valerie!" I yelled after her.

But she did not stop for even a second.

__

Finally some insight on what happened 3 years ago! What do you think? I sure do hope you enjoyed this chapter.