12 | CHAPTER TWELVE

IT WAS MEG'S WEDDING DAY AND EVERYONE WAS excited. Well all except Jo. She was angry that Meg was choosing a man over her family, to which Meg would just say, "He's family now." Which would earn a famous Jo eye roll. Lily had begged Meg to let her bring Noah and Dorian along. Noah and Lily had gotten quite close. They were happy around each other, always holding hands, and they had kissed a few more times since the first time.

Lily was sat doing Meg's makeup while Jo did Meg's hair. "I can't believe it's my wedding day!" Meg exclaimed nearly jumping up from her seat. "Me neither." Jo mumbled sadly. Lily sighed. She would miss her sister dearly, but they were growing up. They had to move on. Meg looked at the girl through the mirror. "What's wrong?" She asked her eyebrows creasing as Lily smacked her arm trying to focus on her eye makeup.

"Nothing." Jo responded sighing through her nose. She suddenly pushed Lily and kneeled in front of Meg. "We can leave. We can leave right now." Jo said abruptly. Lily gaped and Meg's mouth hung open, "What?" She asked clearly confused by Jo's sudden behavior.

"I can make money! I can sell stories, I can do anything, cook, clean, work in a factory, I can make money for us!" Jo suggested and faced Lily. "We can bring Lily along as well! She can start her own garden and we'd be happy!" Jo said taking Lily and Meg's hand.

Lily sadly shook her head. It sounded nice but she couldn't leave her family. She would miss them to much. "But Jo." Meg started but Jo shook her head, "You can be an actress and you can have a life on stage! Let's run away together!" Jo said shaking their hands as worry flashed through her face.

"I want to marry him." Meg responded and Jo let go of her hand. "Why!" Jo yelled as Lily wrapped an arm around her and Jo leaned into her. "I love him." Meg sighed and Lily rubbed Jo's shoulder. "You will be bored in 2 years and we will be interesting forever!" Jo said as Lily wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Just because my dreams aren't the same as yours, doesn't mean they aren't important." Meg argued. "I want a family and a home, and i'm not scared of working and struggling as long as I do it with John." Spoke Meg as Lily leaned her head on Jo's.

"I would love to Jo. It's just, I can't. We have people here! Amy, Beth, Noah, Dorian, Marmee, you have Laurie, and you two could be happy together!" She said as she rubbed Jo's back. Jo scoffed, "Like I would marry." She said rolling her eyes.

Lily shook her head but kept her mouth shut not wanting to continue the argument. "I just hate that your leaving me." She aimed to Meg. Meg shook her head, "I'm not leaving you." She said.

"I can't believe childhood is over." Jo said as Lily nodded smiling at all the old memories. "It had to come to an end. But what a good ending." Meg said smiling at the two girls.

_____

ONE YEAR HAD PASSED SINCE MEG'S WEDDING AND Lily was confused as ever. Amy was off to Europe, Meg was married and Jo was always off with Laurie. Why was she confused? Her feelings for Laurie had grown. They were bigger then before and she didn't know what to do.

She loved Noah. But she didn't know if it was the same way he loved her. But the way Laurie would look at Jo, she knew she would have to forget about them. She sat in her garden when she saw Jo storm inside. She furrowed her eyebrows but shrugged and continued with her gardening

She dropped her tool as someone sat next to her. She looked up and there stood Laurie. She smiled up at the boy but he didn't return it. Her smile turned into a frown at the boys sadden look. "What's wrong?" She asked reaching out and trying to grab his hand but he moved away.

"I asked Jo to marry me-" He started but Lily cut him off, "You asked Jo to marry you!" She gasped and he nodded. "Yes. But she turned me down. And I don't understand why. So I came to you, to ask if you knew anything." He said finally looking up at the girl.

She started to work on her plants again and nodded, "Well I don't understand why she would say no, I mean, she loves you. At least I think she does. But there's no other man. Just you." She said as a million thoughts ran through her mind.

He nodded and the two sat in silence. She looked up after a bit and he was staring at her. She furrowed an eyebrow but he just leaned in and kissed her. She kissed back for a quick second before she realized what was happening and she pushed him away.

She shook her head and stood up and so did he. "Y-Your just doing that because your upset. You don't mean it. You still love Jo." She said trying to convince herself more then him. He stayed silent half ashamed of his actions but half not.

She sighed and his eyes grew at the sight of tears trailing in her cheeks. "I think it's best if you leave. I'll talk to you soon, just need to pull my thoughts together." She said and he nodded walking away to his home.

She sighed before staring at her hands and brought one to her lips before letting a small smile fade through.

____