Chapter Nine

Sly

Two sensations I despised above all others, hot, and itchy. At that moment, I was both.

Most of the night was spent painting little squares of vellum, and the rest of the early hours were spent running them around Swamp. 

And the heat. It didn't help that the Summer months were upon us, the month of Claw nearly here. Soon enough the air itself would feel like it boiled you when you walked into it. 

Then, the itch. When we go out to meet people as Black Daggers, we always cover ourselves head to toe. I have, just like the others, a simple black mask from last Shadow's Night that hid my face, and my cloak was made of cheap flax. An itchy and miserable thing, but it did the job while delivering the vellum and relaying Davery's instructions.

But it was exhausting work, particularly before sunrise when the curfew was still in effect. By the time I got back to our blissfully cool cellar room, I stripped off as many pieces of clothing as I dared and fell onto my straw mattress.

I closed my eyes, willing my sore muscles to relax until Davery came back. He would be here soon enough, probably with more work to do.

I yawned, rolling my face to the other side on my mattress as I slowly faded into sleep.

Sleep.

Peaceful.

Until...

My eyes snapped open. Something was wrong.

 Davery was not back yet, and I couldn't tell how long I had dozed from inside the underground cellar. Rolling onto my feet, I yanked a tunic over my head and shoved my feet in my boots. Nudging open the cellar door I noted the early afternoon sun. I couldn't have slept for more than a few bells, but Davery was still late.

Shuffling into the main room of the tavern, I strained to see every possible place Davery could be. Hardly anyone was there, it being after the noon meal and far too early for the day workers to come drinking. Addah was through the kitchen doorway, cutting carrots and throwing them into the big stew kettle. Looks like a lean meal tonight at the Snoring Dragon.

"Morning, Addah." I slid into the kitchen to watch or offer help, depending on what was left to do.

"Morning she says!" Addah pitched her tone high and teasing. "And here I thought morning was when all them folks were down here for breakfast and to get on their way home." 

I rolled my eyes while Addah chuckled at her own joke, leaning in and kissing the old woman's flour covered cheek.

"I meant afternoon. Has Davery been by here? He was supposed to meet me by now," I asked.

"No, he hasn't been through here but I was upstairs for a time and I might have missed him. I was cleaning out the rooms of them that left today, so it took a while." Addah put down her chopping knife and wiped her hands on her apron. "Husband?" She called to the barroom.

"Aye?" Abe called back.

"Has Davery come in yet that ye've seen?" 

Abe came in from the main room, taking up a spot by Addah as he leaned against the counter.

"No, can't say I've seen him." Abe scratched his chin. "He's like a cat, that one. Comes and goes as he pleases. Hard to keep track of."

"Well,..." I hesitated, not really sure what to do next.