Chapter Thirteen

Sly

The courtyard was aglow with lights. Bonfires were lit for when the sun finished dipping below the city walls, and lanterns were strung through the trees. Fireflies danced among the flowerbeds and a small fountain had candles floating in it. The smell of the feast made my mouth water as staff prepared trays of food and candles for the tables, which had been set up in rows. The area for the high table was divided from the rest of the diners by ornate torches and the table itself had a lavish gold table runner draped over it that pooled on the floor at each side.

Already nobles filled the tables in fine silks and jewelry glinted from every angle. More than one lord or lady hung a Muse from their arm, their deep red dresses and rose shaped bliss marks a beacon filling up seats near them. A display of their wealth and luxury. All I saw in the courtyard was a bunch of Coins, drinking and not watching their purses. I almost spit my disgust out on the flagstone before thinking better of it.

I lost track of the nobleman I had followed after spotting Moon and Star. Stretching their arms and flicking fans open and closed. After that the rest of the Muses were easy to locate nearby in a screened off area by the garden wall. A bit of privacy for the Muses not on display. Taking my place at the wall in case I was needed, I settled my eyes over the crowd for any hint of interesting information to bring back.

"Sly, there you are. Did you get lost?" Fae, a full head shorter than me, fidgeted with a lock of my hair like a doting aunt.

"A little, maybe. I'm sorry I didn't come carry your things."

"Don't fret about it." Panther purred from the table set up for the Muses.   "Little was carried tonight, and I understand if you got lost. It is tomorrow and the third night that we will need your help most."

A heat rushed to my face that had nothing to do with a Midlands summer. It felt as though I had let Panther down. I opened my mouth to apologize again when a horn called through the courtyard.

    "All rise for the Queen Everith, Princess Nadia, Princess Olianne and Princess Rosalie!" A trumpeter played as the herald finished the announcement, quieting the crowd. The Queen led the royals elegantly to the head table, all the while smiling to the people who looked on. I was surprised to see how thin the Queen was, and the smile she shone so brightly to the guests did not reach her eyes. Panther clicked her tongue even as she bowed low to her Queen.

"I had heard the rumors but..." Fae sighed, concern written on her face.

"Hush." Panther said quietly.

Princess Nadia followed, holding her child Princess Rosalie who turned two just last month. At the end Princess Olianne seemed to be trying very hard to blend into the background, the very picture of thirteen year old awkwardness, and I couldn't help but smile at how human that made her, royal or not. As the royals seated themselves the chatter picked back up.

"Aren't we missing a royal?" Fae asked to no one in particular.

"Prince Rorik is known for his dislike of formal events. I'm sure he will make an appearance to appease his mother but likely he will slip in unannounced." Panther answered.

"Is the queen ill?" I murmured.

"In a way. Her heart breaks with the long absence of her king. This war has taken a toll on us all, my dear." Panther glanced up at Everith, who stared into her wineglass.

Interesting. I watched the queen for a long time with mixed feelings. I had no love for the royals who let their city divide so heavily between the poor and the wealthy. I even tried to muster some of the usual contempt any of us from Swamp should have for them. But all I saw tonight was a broken woman, simply putting on appearances for her people, if not herself.