Chapter Forty Two

I meandered through the wide isles of Hammer District Market. It was a busy evening and there was plenty of gossip to be heard. Hammer was home to the realm's best artisans and the goods available here were of the highest quality. I wouldn't normally spend time here, not often having the coin to afford it, but with my recent work for Rorik, I was able to buy a small cone of lavender incense and burn it on the roof of a bakery while I ate a dinner of nut bread and a sausage. It was downright lavish.

As I licked my fingers clean of the sausage grease and bread crumbs, I debated on if I should feel guilty about sneaking out. But this was important work, and I was already hearing good things. The bakery was a low building and the tall walls on either side of it supplied the roof with plenty of shade for me to hide in. Not that anyone ever looked up, the roof was always a safe place if you kept low and moved smoothly. I lazed on the warm tiles with a full belly, listening to the shop patrons below. My only concern for the day was to keep an eye out for an afternoon rain.

"There are more guards out than ever!" A woman below was heated and it caught my ear. "Hearth bless the king but this city is turning to folks in the streets while he's off in Linmead with the damn army."

"Hush, Viddy! There are ears all over. The king will be back and it will be better. I'm sure of it." A lighter voice soothed the first woman.

"Mistress Hibrida that's twice your usual price for a loaf of raisin! My sister lost her work and had to move in. I have extra mouths o feed you know." Nearby a low man's voice whined like a child.

"It can't be helped, Jace, I'm paying almost that much just on my grain now. Gotta pay those ridiculous taxes somehow." The baker.

It went on like this until dusk. Everyone had grumbled, few defended the king, and all were disgusted with the council of regents who had turned very nasty over the last couple of years. I had to agree with them on that point. On top of that now there were soldiers crawling all over adding new tension to the air.

There had been lean winters since the war started but as soon as the last royal visit left, they turned downright deadly. In the course of the war, the king and his two eldest sons came back every two years. That's how Braeton was able to secure an heir, after all. Hearth keep the adorable Rosalie. But every time they left the council took back over. By law, the council was the ruling regency in the king's absence, regardless of the family that was still there to rule.

I spat at the thought of it all and moved to the edge of the roof. I should get back to the castle and update Rorik. The city wasn't ready for the king to come back unless he could come back with something to help the people. I knew he would be the solution to a lot of problems, but the people were going to need something immediate and tangible to convince them. Maybe some of the foreign food shipments, maybe money or even just jobs and a place to sleep. Whatever it would take, we had just over a day to make it happen.

~

I watched the Lake district market wake up from an unoccupied balcony. The pre-dawn breeze wrapped itself around my shoulders as I watched the flickering lights illuminate the market stalls. One by one the lanterns were put out, their flickering fire signaling the arrival of the stall's merchant and signaling the start of the business day. I had never really had the chance to appreciate the city from this height before, and it was invigorating.

"There you are." I looked over my shoulder to see Bricker coming out the door to the balcony from the servant's hall where I'd found this gem of a view.

"Just admiring the view. I guess I like heights, I feel like I could fly away with the birds." I smiled and moved my gaze back down to the market.

We stood in silence for a while. I saw that he eyed the back of my arm where the wound was only now unbandaged, getting some air but not before having a bitter-smelling salve rubbed over it.