Chapter Thirty Three

True to his word Rorik had prepared the documents and Pettypiece had them with him on his morning patrol. I was glad to take the news to Jexa, who nearly cried of joy having something to do again other than search in vain for Grethan. Davery had always been the planner, Jexa just did what he was told. As much as I had argued with my brother that I could be a part of the plans, Jexa was older and wiser in many ways, including being satisfied with the role he knew he could play well. The new work would put a spring back in his step for sure.

I went around to Dirk, Grahm and Bricker that afternoon. Dirk would subtly find the families that could use the help most while the other three used the papers to get into the forest. They would be gone the entire week, hopefully deep in the forest catching, skinning, salting and gathering. I promised to meet them all at Jexa's, that would be the day after my meeting with Rorik.

Satisfying as it was to set it in motion, implementing the plan Rorik gave us was exhausting and I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering where my feet would take me. I decided to walk to the best market in town and treat myself to the mask for the ball. I'd have to find a dress somehow as well. I frowned when I realized I would probably have to do dancing lessons just in case it would help my cover.

I shook off that thought and focused on one thing. A mask. I would pick out my very own mask for the first time, and it wouldn't be paper. I would get a nice one, one I could wear for several years in a row, one that was mine.

The best craftsman were in Hammer district. The market was the largest in town and even the more expensive districts didn't have some of the amazing things you could find in Hammer. I wandered the stalls in awe, amazed at every turn by something new. I was looking at silver hair ornaments thinking about buying one for an end of the year gift for Orchid when something drew my eye. A mask merchant. I entered the little stall, captivated by the variety. There were silk masks, leather ones, some made with carved wood. Ribbon and colorful paint clutterred the little counter and worktable where a young woman sat, wearing a cat mask. She had her dark hair in a bun and long willowy limbs. Something about her enchanted, enthralled, and I found myself walking up to the counter.

"Did you make these?" I asked.

"No, but I can help you find the perfect one." The woman smiled and pulled a mask from under the counter. It was a stunning leather, reddish brown, with ornate tooling covering it. It had cat ears and covered from her forhead to her nose.

"Beautiful," I breathed.

"Here, let me help you try it on. There is a mirror in that corner."

I turned to the indicated space and the young woman tucked a lock of hair behind my ear, tickling the back of my neck. I made a surprised sound and my fingers rushed to the ticklish skin.

"Is everything alright?" she asked.

"Yeah." I forced my fingers out of the way, regaining my composure. "Just startled. I'm fine."

She finished adjusting it and stepped back so I could see how it fit. With the mask on, I admired it in the mirror for a moment before turning to where the girl had stood.

"Thank. . ."

The girl was gone. I spun a couple times looking all around the stall but I was alone. I was about to set the mask down and leave but an old man stepped through a curtain behind the counter.

"Can I help you young lady?"

My eyes fell to the mask in my hands. A chill ran down my back as I stared into the empty eyes of the mask. A cat . . .

"I'd like to buy this mask please." I handed it to the old man who looked at it puzzled.

"Don't remember this one. Well, I make so many for the month, who can remember them all eh? The leather ones are thirty copper." He wrapped it in a nice oiled cloth and took my coins.