Chapter Twenty Seven

Sly

Panther scolded me with a wrath even Davery had never used on anyone. Jexa was waiting outside the House of Bliss, arms folded over his chest with one foot kicked back on the wall he leaned against. He didn't say anything, which was probably worse than being scolded. He just hugged me, showed me inside, and let Panther have at me before he went home.

Orchid's eyes were ringed red and puffy by the time she got ahold of me after Panther. I sat quietly as my friend pulled my hair this way and that to get all the pins out and brushed for the night. I threw the gown and slippers onto a chair in the corner before trading them for a worn black tunic.

A mistake, I realized, because Panther had followed and upon taking off the gown I exposed the cut on my hip. That threw the whole house into a frenzy all over again. How had I gotten that? What did I do after I ran away from Jexa? I didn't tell them about the castle. Not now that I was now the only one alive who knew how involved the prince was in the plans, though I had given Jexa hefty clues to go on. If she was in a better state of mind Orchid could probably piece it together too. The wound was cleaned and bandaged and I had to eat two rolls and some cheese before the others would leave the room.

Orchid finished brushing out my hair, and all but ordered me into bed with her. Once I was finally able to go to sleep, I dreamed about playing with Davery and Orchid like we did as children.

Addah came by the next morning escorted by Grahm. The old woman's wrinkled face was strained and she had clearly been crying. I was happy to accept her tight hug, noting the mended tears on her top. How long had it been since I'd paid attention to Addah and Abe's needs? Davery always had. Whenever they had a shirt that was a little too worn or socks that were a little too thin for their boots Davery always found a way to replace them. I was ashamed to think that it had all fallen to my brother's shoulders. Abe and Addah had done so much for us, taking in two orphans from Swamp and giving us a room for what we thought was a fair rent. It was basically free. They saved our lives, of that I was certain. The old woman's visit was my reason to get out of bed that day. I drank some water and ate little. Five days until the Harvest Festival.

Orchid practiced her lap harp that second day after the burning. There was no getting away form it, not that I'd necessarily want to. It was beautiful, Orchid's playing. I mean, it drew an actual goddess to mark her for it. At least Orchid was useful for something, unlike a black dagger with no master. I managed to eat a bowl of venison stew and half a roll that day. Four days until the festival.

The third day Bricker and Dirk visited. Bricker flirted, and Dirk did sleight of hand tricks to impress and entertain. I knew those skills had a darker origin, not that he ever talked much about his past. My knife throwing master, Dirk, a man I really knew little about outside of his loyalty to Davery. They brought my favorite carrot pie and made sure I ate some of it. Jexa came by later, he told me Davery would be sad to see me like this, but it didn't provoke anything from me, I didn't need any of them to remind me that I was disappointing everyone. Three days to the Festival.

On the fourth day Panther lost some patience. She pulled me out of bed and washed my hair forcibly. I was then made to eat a large bowl of broth, half a loaf of bread, and an apple. Panther sent me out with River and Fae to do the market shopping for the house. Two days until the Festival.

The next morning was cool, and fall was truly upon Unays. It rained lightly in the morning, but cleared up before noon. I got out of bed on my own that morning and washed my face. I even brushed my hair out and ate an apple unprovoked. You'd think I'd breathed fire from the look on Orchid's face.

"You're doing well today," she commented from her seat in front of her mirror, a brush at her lips with red tint on it.

I shrugged. "Have to start somewhere."