Chapter Ten: Goodbye

When Grian woke up, he felt sick to his stomach.

Despite the fact that nothing has actually happened, it felt like his world had quaked and rumbled. He had a large sense of fear all of a sudden, but he didn't know why.

He breathed in, everything is fine. Everything is okay. There isn't any danger right now, right?

•/\•/\•

He felt like he had stepped on a landmine, his magic beginning to buzz at his fingertips. The world froze and darkened in a matter of seconds, red seeming to tint the air.

What had just happened? What did he do? What did he say? How did he trigger Sam? Wait, here's a better question, how was he even triggered when he wasn't supposed to be insane in the slightest at this very moment?

They were just outside on the oval, being made to run fifty laps by Rowan who stood in the middle, shouting insults like he usually does.

It was all supposed to be fine.

Sam narrowed his eyes, glaring with lasers at the inwardly panicking blonde, before he reached into his pocket, pulling out something he definitely shouldn't be carrying.

A knife.

Grian's eyes widened, no, no not yet. PLEASE! He wasn't supposed to have this state of mind yet! So where did it come from?!

Students crowded around, they were terrified.

His heart cracked and was on the brink of shattering, he was close. He was so, so close! Everything could go back to the way it was! Everything could be good again! If everything went to plan, they wouldn't even remember his mess-ups and old— the original Grian would be back in place, and everything would play out as it should've.

But then again, his original plan didn't go as it should've either.

Sam launched at him, eyes wide and full of bloodlust; Grian knew, he wasn't getting out of this unscathed.

His magic lit up his fingertips, a royal purple glowing in self-defence. He couldn't contain it anymore, after all, he was in imminent danger.

Before the dark-eyed male could fully react, the knife had been plunged into his stomach, and then it was pulled out with a vigour that shook him to the core.

Damnit!

Grian cried out, sure, he's died many times during Evolution and Hermitcraft, but in his current setting, he doesn't have the choice to respawn.

There was nothing to help him.

He stumbled, clutching his wound that seemed to go numb around the edges. Blood began to soak his top, splashes dripping onto the grass below them. Purple glowed through the large gash, slowing the blood flow but certainly not completely.

Sucking in a ragged breath, his own eyes narrowed as he leapt toward the laughing and hysterical figure before him, and gave the hardest punch he could throw with his hand shining to the side of the rabbit-hybrid's head. He then twisted around and gave a solid kick to his stomach.

Why did this happen? He asked himself again, tears prickling at his eyes as he just couldn't understand.

Why did he have to live like this? He wondered. All of this happened because of a single choice. He dodged the knife that came flying his way once again, but only barely as it sliced the edge of his shoulder.

Why. . ? He could see his vision darkening and his spinning, but he couldn't leave Sam— despite everything, his friend, like this. He quickly cut behind the brown-haired teen, before putting his hand on the back of his head and let his powers flow like water, knocking his friend out gently and allowed him to fall to the ground.

Why did it have to end like this? He looked down at the unconscious body of his roommate, who had a bloody nose, some already-forming bruises and scratched everywhere, yet he looked peaceful.

Although, Grian didn't have long to think as his ears started ringing. His limbs weakened before the adrenaline fled, and he too was sent to the ground.

•/\•/\•

He teared up as he had the final realisation,
his friend had turned into foe,
and despite what had happened,
he still loved him.

But before he could apologise, he left the world.

All he worked for went up in purple flames,
and never would he be the same.
For once he left he was never to return,
because he would watch over them in spirit. . .

and nothing more.

And book one is finished! Book two will be on my profile and I hope you enjoyed!