Prologue: A Ray of Hope

Author's note: So I've always to make a story for Edward ever since I explored his character in my other story, "Imprint's Desire." So this just a prologue and we'll see how it goes. Let me know what you think :).

Saying goodbye to the person one loves is the hardest thing anyone can do, but Edward Cullen knew it would have cost Bella her life if he stayed and it ultimately did. To lie and break her heart was the worst thing Edward had to do, but to know she ended her life had sent him over the edge. Like a moth to a flame, he sought death where he knew he would obtain it. He grimaced at the thought of how Bella felt during her last moments and there he was ready to commit the taboo act of revealing one's self to the humans; the truth of vampires' existence. The sea of red hustled and bustled as a crowd of people covered in red cloaks formed below the clock tower. They were waiting for the clock to strike noon to celebrate Saint Marcus, the man to have drove off the alleged creatures of the night eons ago.

Only a minute left for the clock to strike as Edward took off his shirt as he readied himself to expose himself into the light. Death's kiss was nearing. Suddenly the scent of honey filled his nostrils and a feminine voice from behind him rang gently into his ears. "You know for a handsome old soul like you, you're carrying too much sadness in your heart. However, I cannot let you seek your end like this."

Suddenly, the old clock tower chimed as the bells echoed within the streets. Small hands pulled him away from the entrance of the doorway before the sunlight touched Edward's skin and led him inside the building. He turned around to look at the face of his savior. She was the most beautiful creature he's ever seen. It was as if a goddess was sent from the heavens to stand in front of him. While she smelled of honey, he could smell traces of his kind's scent but it wasn't strong like the rest of them; she was unique. The color of her eyes were what shocked him the most; they weren't crimson red or honey gold, but a vibrant shade of (e/c). He was curious to know what she truly was, but her eyes averted over towards the entrance where they once stood by. "I have to leave. It isn't time yet," the mysterious woman said softly before stepping away from him.

"Wait," Edward protested as he gently grabbed her hand. "Who are you?"

"My name is (Name). I'll see again soon, but for now I must go," Edward heard in his mind; the mysterious woman can use telepathy. "Be careful of what's to come next."

Just like that, (Name) was gone; it was almost as if she just disappeared into thin air, but then Edward heard the familiar voice he once thought he'd never hear again. Bella.

"Edward!" Bella cried as she hugged tightly as she could from behind. "I'm here! I'm alive! Don't do it!"

The thought of trying to end his life was once gone the moment she saved his life. He wanted to see her again and look into her (e/c) eyes once more. He wanted to hold her and to get to know her.

Edward's mind was clouded with the thought of the beautiful stranger that he didn't notice two Volturi guards heading towards them until Bella pulled him out of his mind. Whatever he has to go through, Edward will make sure to find a way to see (Name) again, his ray of hope.