Chapter 4: Chances

Another chapter!!! I hope you enjoy this one! ☺️

    It was surreal for Edward: the stranger he met several days prior in Volterra was beside him, listening to him and hunting with him despite her meal preferences as if they've been companions for a long time. (Name) sat on a fallen tree trunk as he fed upon the doe he managed to catch. "Just out of curiosity," (Name) spoke as Edward looked up with crimson splotches around his chin and lips. "Do you have a mate? Like how Rosalie is with Emmett, I mean."

    Edward sighed as he took a moment to carefully answer this. He was beginning to question the 'love' he had for Bella. Would one call that love? "I have a girlfriend..." he admitted, the word leaving a sour taste on his tongue. "She's human."

     "She's very lucky," (Name) said sincerely, as she glanced towards a fallen leaf beside her foot.

     Edward felt guilty; while she seemed sincere, he could not help but hear a hint of disappointment in the way she said it. He felt the urge to want to comfort her, but he knew he could not now that his relationship was known to (Name). "Are you done eating, Edward?" (Name) asked with worry. "You seem to have something else on your mind other than feeding. The blood will turn cold and that's never great."

      "I'm fine," Edward replied. "Zoned out for a moment."

      (Name) smiled as she stood up from the log. She stretched her arms as Edward disposed of the finished animal carcass. Edward walked beside her as his mind was in turmoil. He was standing at a crossroad— he really liked (Name), but the catch was Bella. He kept thinking about what happened when he was gone after he broke up with her. He felt guilty for leaving her, and he does hold some love for her as she was the first to make him realize he could still hold affection for someone. "Not that vampires get wrinkles, but if you keep worrying about whatever is on your mind, you just might be the first," (Name) hummed, bringing him out of his thoughts.

     He chuckled at her comment, finding it amusing and relieving. "Can't have that, can we?" Edward smiled, his golden eyes sparkling with delight.

    "Edward!" A familiar voice called out to him: it was Bella. "There you are!"

      Edward was so enamored he didn't realize that he and (Name) were back at his home. He glanced over to the brunette standing on one of the steps. She was staring at his new friend who, more than likely in Bella's eyes, resembled a human despite being the latter.

      Bella was not expecting her vampire boyfriend to be around a woman, much less another 'human'. The only thing Bella was aware of was that Alice wanted her to come over despite Edward dropping her off earlier. She was a prime witness of Edward's smiling face due to something the woman had said. Bella was envious because the woman beside her beloved was beautiful— picturesque like she could be Aphrodite's offspring. She bared no flaws, her skin as smooth as a porcelain doll and looked graceful; something she was not. "Bella," Edward said with a silky tone, "I wasn't expecting you to come by. I dropped you off earlier."

     It was almost as if an arrow struck her; did Edward not want to see her? "Alice texted me to come see her,"Bella replied, her words sharp. "Who's your friend here?"

     "This is (Name) Toledo," Edward introduced as (Name) gave her a smile. "Her mother works with Carlisle."

       "You must be Edward's girlfriend," (Name) said softly, the words giving Bella a sense of pride that the woman was aware of their relationship. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

       "Likewise," Bella said as she walked over to hug her boyfriend, shocking him by her sudden affection. "Does she know of your... 'condition'?"