Chapter 8

The next day was Saturday, normally Andrew's favorite day because he could sleep in and Shane never bugged him until at least the afternoon, generally too busy doing "family stuff" with Ryland. He laid in his bed, looking up at the ceiling as he thought of everything that had happened the day before. The doctor's appointment, the ultrasound, the trip to Disneyland with Scarlett. It was the best day he'd had in a long time, even if his ever-growing feelings for Scarlett were starting to make him uncomfortable. The more time he spent with her, trying to become her friend and co-parent, the more he found himself falling for her. But she was impossible to read. She was sweet, kind, and an ultimate realist, a perfect contrast to his often dreamy personality. And he really believed they were getting closer. But every time he felt like maybe, just maybe, she saw him as something more than just the immature guy who'd knocked her up, he felt her hesitating, and he was worried that he was getting carried away in some fantasy where they were mom and dad. He didn't know what to do about it though, as he couldn't exactly distance himself from her. And he didn't want to either. She was all he thought about these days. Ugh, life was so... complicated.

After promising Scarlett, he'd called his mom after they got back from Disneyland and told her about the baby. Predictably, she was at first in complete shock, then a tiny bit disappointed in the weird situation he was in, and after about 20 minutes of talking, she was elated. His mom was one of the least judgmental people he'd ever met, and he totally credited her for his ability to be a completely average straight guy who liked sports and video games and, at the same time, completely comfortable with having a best friend who would literally put makeup on him for sport. Kara Siwicki never judged anyone, and luckily for Andrew, that included her beloved red-headed son.

After explaining what had happened with Scarlett and how hard they'd worked to be friends, Kara wanted to know everything about the blonde lawyer, and Andrew rolled his eyes to himself as she begged to Facetime with Scarlett or talk to her. He'd told his mother that he was trying his best to let Scarlett drive the ship, but he promised her that he'd talk to Scarlett and feel her out on them talking. He had the feeling Scarlett would be fine with it, which made him even more uncomfortable. Her positive reaction to him talking about his mom the previous day had further complicated his feelings for her. But still, he couldn't disappoint his mom, so he told her he'd try to set something up.

As he laid in bed, lost in his thoughts, he heard his phone buzzing, and he outwardly groaned when he saw Shane's contact. What was he doing texting at 10 am on a Saturday? he thought to himself selfishly. This was Andrew-time, and Shane knew it. But he immediately felt guilty when he read the message. Shane wanted Andrew to come by and hang out by the pool with him, Ryland, Morgan and Garrett. And he wanted Andrew to invite Scarlett. Andrew's eyes went wide as he thought it over. Sure, it was weird that Scarlett had never met Shane and all of their friends. But he didn't know if she was ready for everything that meeting the "Squad" would bring, and he thought it over before deciding to call Shane to express his hesitation, rather than texting back and forth.

"Bitch! This is the mother of your child, man. Fuck! I never thought I'd be saying that!" Shane yelled into the phone, and Andrew groaned to himself. "But seriously, we have to meet her. Don't you talk about us?" Shane asked, and Andrew had to admit he was right. "Of course, I talk about you guys," Andrew said, feeling a little guilty for his reaction when Shane was trying to be supportive. "I promise, we'll try to be cool and not be too much," Shane said, and Andrew laughed. "Just be you guys, it'll be fine," Andrew said quietly, and Shane gasped. "Are you sure?" he asked, honestly surprised to hear Andrew agree. "Because we're admittedly a lot."

Andrew cackled a little. "This was your idea Shane. It'll be fine, Scarlett is pretty unflappable." Shane squealed with excitement, and Andrew heard him excitedly telling Ryland that he'd agreed to the pool day. "Well, go call her!" Shane said with excitement, and Andrew agreed before adding quickly, "Shane, just remember... she's not my girlfriend, OK? We have a totally normal, platonic relationship where we happen to share a kid. But it's not... like, it isn't like that, so please don't say anything that makes it sound like you think it is," he pleaded with his boss, not wanting to make the already delicate relationship with Scarlett any more awkward. "Got it, buddy, I promise," Shane said, and Andrew hung up, silently praying that all would go well.