Chapter 34

The next day, Scarlett's blood pressure returned to a level where she was finally discharged from the hospital, and she, Andrew and Baby Maggie headed home to the Palisades house. As they hopped into the new SUV, with the car seat expertly installed by Ryland (who'd taught himself via a YouTube video, of course), Scarlett sighed a bit.

"What's up, baby?" Andrew asked softly, and Scarlett grinned. "Nothing, I'm just so excited to be going home, to sleep in our own bed, and to get Baby Girl home so she can check out her new digs." Andrew smiled, nodding in agreement. "It will be nice to not sleep in a chair," he said with a chuckle. "Are you sure its OK if my parents stay at the house? I really have no problem telling them to get a hotel," he said, shaking his head a little, and Scarlett looked at him like he had two heads. "Are you insane? We're not making your parents sleep at a hotel! Plus, your mom already promised me she'd take the night shift at least a few nights so I could sleep more," she said with a shrug, and Andrew smiled, always so surprised and pleased with how much Scarlett loved his mom.

After a 15 minute trip to the Palisades, with Andrew driving as slow as was legal on the freeway and white knuckling the entire time as he was nervous to carry his precious cargo, they pulled up at the house and Scarlett gasped. Kelsey had painted an "It's A Girl" door hanger for the front door, and Ryland had decorated the front with pink and silver balloons. It looked adorable, and Scarlett couldn't believe how supportive and kind the people in her life were. As Andrew pulled into the driveway, Kara rushed out of the house excitedly.

"You're home!" the middle-aged red-headed woman cheered, throwing her arms around Andrew before rushing to Scarlett's door, pulling it open and helping her gingerly climb out of the car. Andrew grabbed Maggie's car seat and carried her in while Kara held onto Scarlett's arm, ushering her into the house. "Scar, you look amazing!" Kara gushed, and Scarlett blushed a little, smiling at how sweet Kara always was to her. "Thanks. You have no idea how happy I am to see you," she told Kara sincerely, and they both turned to greet Andrew's stepfather Ron, who waved before rushing out to help Andrew unload the car with all of Scarlett and Maggie's belongings. Maggie was still sleeping in her seat, and Kara looked at her as Scarlett settled down on the couch.

"Scar, may I?" she asked with a sparkle in her brown eyes, and Scarlett nodded eagerly. "Of course, grandma, have at it!" she cheered, and Kara beamed. "By the way, Kara, what do you want Maggie to call you?" she asked, and Kara furrowed her brows. "Well, Scarlett, that depends, what does your stepmother want to be called?" and Scarlett shook her head. "Kay says you get first choice. She's super relaxed about it, she wants you to choose first." Kara grinned as Andrew and Ron came back into the room. "Scarlett was asking what my grandma name was going to be. I was thinking maybe GiGi," Kara said, and Scarlett grinned immediately. "I love that!" she exclaimed, and Ron laughed a bit, patting Andrew on his shoulder. "You were right, Andrew, they certainly are two peas in a pod," he said with a chuckle.

**************************************

Over the next few weeks, Scarlett and Andrew started to get into the groove of taking care of their infant, Kara assisting the entire time. She helped Scarlett with nights, feeding Maggie pumped milk so Scarlett could get sleep, she taught them about swaddling and diapering and helped Scarlett give Maggie her first bath. She served as a sounding board when the new parents were tired, discouraged, or unsure of what to do. And she talked to Scarlett, keeping her company as they spent their days sitting around, holding the baby and doting on her. Kara learned everything about Scarlett, getting to know her even better than she thought was possible, and as they spent more time together, Kara started to really think of her as a daughter.

Andrew and Scarlett were starting to get into a rhythm, and while Scarlett had worried that Maggie and the stress of caring for her would somehow cause the two to drift a bit, it couldn't have been further from the truth. Andrew was a natural dad, his general nervousness fading as he jumped feet first into caring for his little girl. He was a true partner, always willing to help Scarlett with anything, and rather than feel stressed, being around Andrew actually calmed Scarlett, making her feel more confident in her abilities when it came to motherhood. He praised her constantly, listened to her concerns, and asked for her advice when he wasn't sure what to do when it came to caring for Maggie, and somehow, taking care of their baby brought them even closer together. Scarlett hadn't thought it would be possible for her to feel any closer to Andrew, but the first few weeks with Maggie bonded them together even more than before.