Chapter 14

Ryland and Scarlett walked into the house, settling down on the couch as Ryland turned on Netflix. He ran to the kitchen to grab them both a LeCroix, and Scarlett kicked off her shoes, settling into the big sectional with a sigh. She couldn't get the interaction with Andrew's ex out of her head, and she suddenly wanted to know every detail about the brunette girl with the snarky personality. She looked Ryland in the eye, and he shifted uncomfortably.

"I know that look, Scarlett. I've opened a major can of worms, haven't I?" the shorter guy said, chewing his lip nervously. "No, I mean, it's not anything bad. Like, I'm not upset that Andrew hasn't told me about her. But come on, you can't expect me to meet her like that, have you tell me she's the worst, and then no one tells me another detail about her. I have to know," she said, eying him up as Ryland groaned. "Ugh, Scar, maybe you should just ask Andrew about her, I don't really want to gossip," and Scarlett rolled her eyes. "Of course you do!" she said with a grin, and Ryland couldn't help but laugh. "OK, I do, but... please don't tell him that I told you all this stuff OK?" he said, and Scarlett leaned forward, suddenly desperate to know about Andrew's past with the rude YouTube girl.

Ryland sighed a little, thinking about her. "I mean, basically, Andrew met Gabbie through Vine a while back. They had the same friend group, along with Garrett and some other Vine people. I wasn't around back then, so I don't know, but Gabbie was in the Vlog Squad." He looked at Scarlett, immediately realizing that she didn't know who the Vlog Squad was either, and he laughed a little. Scarlett rolled her eyes. "Ryland, I was in law school for the past three years. I don't know anything except that. I can barely keep up with the beauty guru crap, and I live with a beauty guru," she said with a laugh, and Ryland nodded.

"The Vlog Squad is this group of YouTube people, a friend group where they all have their own channels and go out together and video it, and David Dobrik is the leader. He's, you know, the guy with the floppy brown hair who's on Nickelodeon and stuff. He gives away cars." Ryland looked at Scarlett expectantly, and she furrowed her brows, pulling her phone out and googling him. "Oh yeah, OK, I know that kid. Actually, my law firm represents him," she said, and Ryland raised his eyebrows. "The plot thickens," he said teasingly, and she shook her head.

"Anyway, Gabbie has a channel and she used to be pretty popular. Next to David, she was probably the most popular one. She's not like Shane or anything, but she's probably got more subs than I do," he said slowly. "She and Andrew started dating around the time she was at the height of her fame. She would constantly put him in her vlogs, talk about him, you know, even put him in her thumbnails, probably because it got her views," he said with a shrug, and Scarlett looked at him inquisitively. "Because he's so handsome Scarlett," Ryland said as if it were obvious, and Scarlett blushed a little, grinning. "Andrew wasn't working for Shane then, but he lived with her two best friends, and they're also in the Vlog Squad. So Andrew was constantly on their channels, and Gabbie definitely used him to edit her videos and help her and stuff, but she would never say on camera that they were dating. I'm assuming that was fine with him, because you know, he hates attention," Ryland said, and Scarlett nodded in agreement.

"Gabbie used to collab with Shane all the time, and they were pretty good friends. She used to make me so uncomfortable because she'd always try to like, make out with Shane on camera, and she'd make jokes about stealing him from me and stuff. Shane liked her OK, but it wasn't like that or anything. But she was on his channel a lot, and vice versa. You know, they used each other, for views," Ryland said, and Scarlett's head was starting to swim. "Right before Andrew started working for Shane, he broke up with Gabbie, and she was not happy. She liked him a lot more than he liked her, I think, and she tried to get back together with him a ton, but when he wasn't biting, she started turning all the Vlog Squad people against him. Like, they were all a big friend group, and then, he moved out of his apartment with her friends, he stopped being in their videos, and I think, stopped editing them too, which was what he did for a job. About two months later, Garrett introduced him to Shane, and you know, the rest is history." Scarlett nodded, unsure where all this was going. "Well, great, sounds like everything worked out, right?" Scarlett asked, and Ryland shook his head.