Chapter 27

After Scarlett's day with Andrew's mom, the two met up with Andrew and headed over to Shane and Ryland's for family dinner with Morgan and Garrett. Andrew's mom loved the Squad, particularly Shane, and she was excited to see everyone. Ryland had ordered take out from an Italian restaurant in Calabasas, and everyone was sitting around the big patio dining table as Kara gushed to Ryland about what a great job he'd done designing the outdoor space. Shane was sipping on a glass of whiskey, and he offered Andrew a glass with a sly grin.

"I thought you could use this before you meet Scarlett's father tomorrow," he told his red-headed friend with a laugh, and Andrew shifted around uncomfortably. "Don't tease him, Shane," Scarlett admonished. "It's not going to be that bad, I promise." Kara glanced from Scarlett to Andrew. "Are you nervous son?" she asked him softly, and he nodded. "I mean, a little bit," Andrew admitted. "Listen, now that I'm going to be a dad to a girl, I wouldn't blame him one bit if he wanted to rip my head off," the red-head said with a small laugh, and Scarlett rolled her eyes. They'd been teasing about the meeting with her dad, but Scarlett didn't want Andrew to be uncomfortable or nervous. "He's not that bad, I promise," Scarlett said with a sigh, and Kara patted her shoulder.

"It will all work out, I know it," Andrew's mom said with a smile, and Scarlett bit her lip, looking at the older red-headed lady with a nervous laugh. "From your lips to God's ears," she said softly.

The next day Scarlett drove to downtown Los Angeles to meet up with her father for brunch. He had arrived earlier that morning and had taken a car to his hotel. Scarlett was planning to meet him at the hotel to hang out there for a bit while Andrew spent quality time with his mom. They would all meet up at Andrew's apartment to make the introductions and then go to dinner that night. Scarlett was nervous but excited to see her dad, and she just hoped the day would go alright, not really wanting to go through any stress or anxiety this close to the baby arriving. She arrived at the Intercontinental and valeted her car before walking in and seeing her father standing there waiting in the lobby for her in a collared golf shirt and slacks. She ran up to him, face beaming, and his lit up as well.

"Scarlett, hello my darling!" John exclaimed as he pulled her into a sweet hug, kissing the top of her head gently. "Daddy!" Scarlett yelled, and she couldn't help but feel teary at how long it had been. She hadn't seen her father since she'd broken off her engagement, and she flew to Long Island for a few days to hide out at his house, her stepmother waiting on her hand and foot while her father looked on as Scarlett cried her eyes out for days. She was in such a better place than then, and John could immediately tell.

"Darling, you look wonderful," he told her, pulling back to look her over while holding both of her hands in his. "May I?" he asked politely, gesturing to her belly, and she nodded, laughing while he patted her swollen tummy. "My goodness, you look so beautiful," he said sweetly, and she could feel the tears coming. "Awe, Daddy, thank you! I'm so glad we're getting to visit," she told him softly as he led her to the brunch spot.

"Scarlett, I have to admit, I'm relieved to see you looking so happy and glowing," he told her honestly as they sat down together, ordering juice. "The last time you were at home, it almost broke my heart, and then with everything that's happened since, well... I wasn't really sure what to expect," he told her, his usually stern voice softening. "You know you're my princess, Scarlett. I'd do anything to ensure your happiness, and I just... I hope you know how much Kay and I love you," he told her, and she nodded. "I know Daddy, I'm doing so much better," she said with a reassuring grin. "I am, everything has gotten so much better since everything with... well, the engagement and stuff," she said, not wanting to even mention Rowe's name. John eyed her, raising an eyebrow. "Dare I say, this baby may have come at just the perfect time," he said incredulously, and Scarlett nodded. "I never thought I would say that," he said with a laugh.