9 | The Hooded Figure

Y/N

_

This was not good, this was not good at all.

After I saw the note left under the door, I knew I had been compromised. I mean, it was incredibly obvious that I had been, but that didn't make it any better. I had tucked it in my suitcase for safekeeping, ensuring that Jamie wouldn't stumble upon it by accident. How this mysterious note leaver knew who I was, I couldn't comprehend.

"Jeez, wake up," the girl yelled, throwing another bagel bag at me.

I caught it quickly with my left hand, slumping back on my pillow. My body was tired from the lack of sleep I had been getting, especially since I was tossing and turning over the abrupt threat. Rolling out of bed, I scrambled after the girl, shoving the bagel in my mouth.

"Earth sciences again?" I groaned, already dreading the class. I dreaded all classes, since I already got all my schooling credits four years ago.

"It's Friday," she smiled, "which means it's field Friday."

"What the heck is Field Friday?"

"Bradworth takes the class outside to study stuff," she shrugged, "it's surprisingly fun."

"At least it's better than being in a boring classroom."

"You got that right."

She led me down the hallway, and out through the back gates, where a group of people were huddled around at the far end of the field. I noticed Oliver squatting on a rock, reading the same Black Magic book he had on the first day I met him. Bradworth was taking attendance, and the rest of the student's were mucking about on the grass.

"Ready to study organisms?" Jamie grinned, clapping her hands together as we approached the boy.

"You say that every time we have field Fridays." Oliver groaned, rolling her eyes, "will it ever end?"

"Absolutely..." she responded, "not!"

"Haha, you're so funny, here's an award."

I was about to join in on the pleasant conversation, but I was cut off by the sound of Bradworth clearing his throat and tapping his clipboard. The rest of the students started to gather around him, so I deducted that I had to as well.

"Morning kids," he said, a goofy smile on his face. I could tell he enjoyed this specific day as much as everyone else seemed to, "today we will be observing trees. Want to hear a joke about trees? Hah, I won't tell ya', it's too sappy."

I had heard my fair share of jokes, but that was by far, the worst one I have heard in quite some time. The man continued, taking the few giggles he received as the highest form of compliment.

"Anyways, behind me you see a Hornbeam tree," he said, before pausing, and frowning, "Mr. Holland, late again, I see."

Everyone turned their heads to see the boy strolling over, his hands tucked into his pockets. He had a clever smirk on his face, as if this wasn't the first time he had arrived a few minutes behind schedule.

"I'm here, aren't I?" He commented, nodding at his friends, "what did I miss?"

"Just pay attention," Bradworth frowned, "as I was saying, the Hornbeam tree is from the birch family Betulaceae..."

I immediately began to set my mind on somewhere else. I mean, trees? No thank you, I'm a strategically trained agent, and the last thing I'd need to know about are trees. My gaze drifted over the landscape, admiring the rolling hills and scenery. A small breeze brushed against my exposed arms, and I rubbed them with my hands to keep them warm.

I turned around to admire the school, it's commandeering structure looming over us as we stood in the garden. I could see Jamie and my dorm room on the corner of the building, the curtains drawn shut. Scanning the rest of the school, I laid eyes upon the giant glass windows of what I presumed to be the headmasters office.

I was about to look away, when I caught a glimpse of a passing shadow moving inside. I squinted my eyes, straining to see what was going on. A hooded figure was digging around through the cabinets, pulling things out and shuffling other things.

It was definitely not the headmaster, but it definitely could be the person who left behind the note. In other words, the thief.

"Cover for me," I whispered to Jamie, "I'll be right back."

"Eliza, what the hell-"

"Just do it, please," I said, waiting till Bradworth turned around, before I could rush back towards the school.

My heart was pounding as I rushed back through the doors, sliding through the hallways as I searched to find the headmaster's office. This was it, I could catch the thief red-handed, and be able to finally complete this mission.

I could almost envision myself handing them in at HQ, along with the stolen necklace. This could be what got me that promotion! I saw the door to the room at the end of the hall, and in a burst of energy, pushed open the door.

"Stop!" I yelled triumphantly, "You can't get..."

I froze when I realized I was the only person in the room. For some impossible and unexplainable reason, they seemed to have escaped in the time I had taken running over here.

Let out a disappointed groan, as I realized I let them slip through my fingers. I thought the office would have been trashed or messy, but it seemed rather intact. The only thing out of place was an open file cabinet, which the thief had been rummaging through.

Walking over to it, I flipped through the stack of cream folders, my stomach dropping when I realized what it was. It was full of student files, every current student's information in their own designated folder. I dragged my finger down the line, until I came to the place where my file should have been.

Except it wasn't there.

This wasn't good, this wasn't good at all. I feel like that's all I could tell myself today, and I had a perfectly good reason too. I screwed up! The thief, who I had no clue who they were, now had access to my fake persona.

"You've got to be freaking kidding me," I spat out, slapping my palm against my face, "I'm in trouble."

"Big trouble."

I spun around quickly, almost frightened by the sudden voice. The headmaster stood by the doorway, a disapproving look on his face. And here I stood, in his office, looking through his file cabinet.

This was not good.