13 | Almost Caught

Y/N

_

"Where the hell did you go?"

I was so caught up in the moment back in Glasgow, I completely forgot I didn't show up to Gregor's with Oliver and Jamie. A wave of guilt rushed over me as I sat down at the dinner table, and I stared at the ground.

"I'm so sorry guys," I apologized, "I ran into a friend and I lost track of time."

The two exchanged a glance, before starting at me with inquisition. I was normally good at hiding my emotions, but for some reason they could see right through my sentence.

"A friend?" Jamie questioned, "do we know them?"

"Uh-yeah," I stuttered.

I couldn't lie to them, but I didn't know how they'd react when they found out. I picked up my fork, poking at the meatloaf on my plate. Oliver flipped open his book, obviously disinterested, but Jamie was still set on her interrogation.

"Well, obviously they'd have to be special," she continued, "if you just lost track of time like that."

"Kind of special, I guess?"

"Who is it?"

I bit my lip, "...Tom."

Oliver snapped his book shut as soon as the word escaped my mouth. Great, this was just great. I knew Oliver and Jamie didn't like the guy, but maybe it was because they didn't know him like I did. Did I really even know him?

They didn't say anything at first, both of them offended.

"Are you mad?" I said softly, wincing at their harsh stares.

"No, I'm not mad," Jamie muttered, "I'm just shocked."

"Look, I'm sorry-"

"Did you guys hook up?" Oliver cut in abruptly, narrowing his eyes.

I dropped my fork in surprise, almost choking on my spit. I knew Oliver hated him, but I didn't think he'd go off assuming the strangest things at random. I shook my head, but he didn't give me a chance to explain.

"He'll just drop you when he's satisfied," the boy scoffed, "I should warn you before that happens."

"We didn't hook up!" I defended, "we just went to get a drink."

"Oh, so now you're drinking?"

"It was apple juice, Oliver."

He didn't respond, but just turned back to his book. Even though Jamie didn't seem to care anymore, I knew this was going to bother Oliver all day. Maybe even all week, who knows? As I turned back to my plate, my eyes flickered past the doorway, where someone was slipping out.

Claire....

Why was she sneaking out? Students weren't allowed to leave the dining hall until the teachers permitted it, and she clearly didn't have a pass. My heart rate increased as I started to piece it all together.

She loves jewelry, she hangs around Tom to gain something out of it, and now she's sneaking out. She had to be the thief, and I needed to catch her red-handed.

"I have to go to the bathroom," I said, standing up slowly from the table.

Jamie nodded, but Oliver just let out a grunt. Keeping my back towards the wall, I weaved in and out of the tables to reach the door at the other side of the room. It wasn't long before I made it into the hallway, where a quick glimpse Claire's figure turned down another passageway.

I nimbly followed after her, making sure my footsteps weren't noticeable against the creaky floorboards. This was my chance to get out of this school. After days without a good lead, I finally had this. As I turned the corner I noticed the girl was heading towards the link. Why was she going to the dorms?

I was about to follow in pursuit, but I felt a hand grab my wrist and pull back sharply. My defense kicking in, I elbowed them in the stomach and jumped back, my fists up.

It was Tom.

"Bloody hell," he groaned, clutching his abs, "that freakin' hurts!"

My head turned back towards the dorms, but Claire was far, far gone. Damnit.

"Were you following me?" I asked, watching as Tom regained his composure, "and...sorry."

"Yeah, I was following you," he winced, "where did you learn to hit like that?"

"Nowhere," I snapped quickly, "why were you following me?"

"I saw you sneaking out of the Dining Hall," he nodded, "you know that's against the rules, right?"

"Maybe."

"So why were you sneaking out?"

Great. I was this close to catching Claire red-handed, and now I had to figure out a reasonable excuse to justify why I left.

"I left my..." I strained, "...Grandmother's spoon in my room."

"Your grandmother's spoon?"

"Yep."

"Why would you need that?"

"To eat my meatloaf."

He chuckled, shaking his head. I could tell he didn't believe me, but it was the best I could do in the moment. I tapped my shoe against the ground, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

Tom nodded back towards the hall, shrugging his shoulders.

"We should head back before they catch us," he grinned.

"Good point."

As we turned to head down the hallway, I heard Tom let out a soft laugh to himself. I stared at him questionably, and he smiled when he saw the look on my face.

"What?" I frowned.

He laughed again.

"I'm just saying," he winked, "we should sneak out together next time."