Take Pain or Take Pein

Go with Pein and backstab my comrades or let my comrades backstab me... quite literally.

Naruto immediatly acknowledged that neither of his options were good, however he was set up to choose either one as he told the others not to contact him today. This was the 4th day before his birthday. He knew there wasn't much time before Pein came to take him; a day tops. After all, he was a villain... who wanted world peace... but in an oppresive way...

He decided to use the free time to meditate and train the stress away, but neither option proved to be working. His mental instability has more than quadrupled since he had left the village especially after last night's night terrors.

The only times he wasn't restless were situations like these where the stress would forcibly keep him in his nightmares. His bad dreams would get worse till he eventually got killed in his mind, which would wake him up. By then, he should've had about ten hours of rest. Near triple the usual amount. Because of these terrifying type of dreams that always ended in his murder, it was no longer death that Naruto feared but hellish life.

And that's exactly what both options had in store for him. However, he found more promise in Pein's offer because maybe he could change the older Uzumaki's plan to something less... oppressive on the population. Then there would be world peace without the new Shinobi War. Not to mention that getting stronger wouldn't be bad for him at all. Bonus points that he'd found a legitimate blood relative.

'Okay, Kura. I've decided. I'll take Peins offer.'

"Okay. I can read your mind, so I already know why. This is risky, though, because he may just kill you or maybe even extract me from you."

'You're probably right, but I think it's worth the risk. If push comes to shove I'll take my chances and escape.'

"Got it, kit. I'll support you."

'Thanks, Kurama.'

"Now about these shinobi..." Naruto mumbled, taking out a pen and paper as he began writing a goodbye letter. He would leave it in the tent he was, once again, sharing with Sasuke. However, because of yesterday's request, the Uchiha wouldn't return there until the end of the day. That's way more than enough time to write the note and go.

Right as he was about to sign his name, he heard the tent flap unzipping and hid the paper. "N-naruto? It's me, Hinata. Can I come in?" He thought about just leaving, but he sensed chakra flowing from her eyes so he knew the Byakugan already spotted him.

"Come in." he sighed and she entered. "So, what w-were you writing." she asked, noticeably stuttering less. She had recently given up on Naruto, sure that he didn't feel the same way and was gaining more confidence in his presence.

"Oh, uh, a poem." he whispered the last part to make himself seems shy. Adding emotion makes lies more believable. "May I see it? It's ok if y-you don't want want to, though." "Yeah, I don't want to." Naruto kind of whispered to make himself seem embarrassed. After abput a minute of silence he began again. "I'm guessing the guys didn't tell you..." "Huh? Tell me what?" Hinata asked. "...that I kinda want to be alone today. I'm not feeling very well."

Out of nowhere, with a new sense of duty, Hinata grabbed his wrist and led him out of the tent. "Look up, Naruto. You see the blue sky and smell the fresh air?" she asked and he answered with a hesitant, "Yeah, it feels nice." "It's calming isn't it. It calms me down sometimes too." "..."

"What I'm trying to say is that when you're dealing with feelings, it isn't always best to stay cooped up inside. Nature has it's own soothing effect." she said, a light smile on her face as she looked at her first love one last time in admiration. He soon smiled back at her, "Thank you, Hinata." "It's the least I can do after you helped me all these years," she said, still smiling as she pet go of his wrist and ran back to the group. "Watch me, Naruto! I'll become a splendid kunoichi!" she yelled, waving, as her legs carried her away.