21 (二十一): Strength

5/10/2020 (Cont.)

Kei tried to get the right timing as the opponent's kept raking up points. The blocks were no use, he tried to play future plays in his head, trying to remember how each of the players spiked and received. The ball went on their side as he looked back and informed Tanaka.

"Tanaka- san."

Asahi and Tanaka, both stepped forward but froze looking at the other person, the ball landing onto the ground as the three stood and looked at the ball. 'This is getting bad.'

"Oi! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING? WHAT ARE YOU SCARED OF? THE TV CREW?" Suga yelled, glaring at the stiff players who looked at the setter, in shock. 'Kowai!'

Suga's outburst seemed to calm the players down as Daichi received the next ball, Kageyama setting it to Kei as he spiked it over with ease but the slight hope of trying to get on a momentum broke as Ushijima spiked through their block. Kei looked back at the ball and frowned. He needed to time his jump and block perfectly so that he's able to stop or atleast touch the ball.

After a while, the blocking wasn't good enough still, as Shiratorizawa made it to the 8- point mark, first. It was frustrating as a blocker to not be able to do anything. What was he doing there? Standing like an idiot?

"Make Ushijima feel that there's a wall!"

Kei knew that he needed to figure something out or it wouldn't be a good game at all. '[Name] must be watching..'

Strategizing and thinking of possible outcomes was his best shot. He needed to time his block so that Nishinoya could pick up the ball. But each time Nishinoya moved to the ball, the ball continued to go straight and cut through, even if Nishinoya had a good form.

'Even if this is total defense, getting our timing down isn't easy.'

The stress was building up on Kei as he reacted too late to Goshiki's spike. 'Shit, I'm focusing on Ushijima too much..'

___

Akiteru watched as he younger brother continued to block and play. He smiled, knowing what's going to happen.

"He doesn't believe in his own strength. And he doesn't trust the sense he's built up."

Yachi and Saeko looked at the older Tsukishima with blank eyes, "How could you say that?! You're his older brother!"

Akiteru shook his head, "I'm complimenting him!"

Looking back at his younger brother, he smirked. "You see, with my younger brother, the more he feels let down, the calmer he gets. He only believes in the information his eyes can see!"

Saeko looked back down at the middle blocker, who looked at the ball in the air, already coming up with multiple outcomes and possibilities. Even as Kei finally got the perfect jump and positioned himself correctly, his hands could only do so much as the ball zipped through his hands, coursing with pain.

A time- out was called at Shiratorizawa had gotten to the 16- point mark. Kei went to go and tape his finger, getting help from Ennoshita as he thought about the recent block. 'Did I hesitate? No.. that can't be.. I was exptecting to loose.'

"You guys will be sure to win."

[Name]'s voice rang through Kei's head as he recalled the argument he had with her during camp. Looking up at the bleachers, he knew he wasn't going to see her but he only hoped he did. Shrugging his thoughts off, his fists clenched as he walked back into the court.

___

[Name] looked out of the window as the bus drove to the girl's wanted destination. Putting on a mask, she adjusted it behind her ears before fixing her hair and [favorite] outfit. She almost forgot about her promise to Kei and she couldn't just back out now.

"What's holding you back?"

Her grandmother's words rang through her head as she looked at bag in her hands. Was she scared of Kei's answer? What was she running away from? 

[Name] shook her head and opened her bag, looking at the dinosaur sweater. 'I was scared of loosing Kei, in general.'

The bus had come to a halt as the girl stepped out and looked at the building in front of her. Running inside, she took off her shoes and exchanged them for inside shoes before paying the entrance fee and running to the court. The sound of people cheering loudly and shouts, the sneakers sliding against the wooden floor as the ball slammed down. [Name] walked into the bleachers, sitting away from the Karasuno cheer squad and family members. 

Walking over to a random stranger, she asked what set and how long the previous set was.

"It's the second set but it's still going for a while.. What team are you rooting for?"

"Mmm, Karasuno.."

"Well, they're catching up really well with deuces. Their #11 gets a lot of one- touches."

[Name] thanked and bowed before going to a secluded place to sit down, by herself, as she watched the game in front of her. 'Kei, I'm here.'

She watched as he continued to try and block Ushijima's and the other spikers. Each time, getting a one- touch. Although she didn't cheer loudly nor did she take off her mask to give away her identity, just in case, she beamed with pride over her cousin and everyone on the team. Her eyes glossed over as she just wanted to scream and hug them. But the game wasn't over yet, it was just getting started. 'Kei changed.. there's something different about him.'

[Name] watched as Shiratorizawa's setter, Shirabu, toss to Ushijima. Watching the ball's rotation, she immediately looked at the setter's position and arch, and knew it was off, slightly.

Asahi and Kei jumped, their hands forming a wall. She held her breathe as she watched Ushijima's hand go back to get ready for a powerful spike. She watched as she saw the middle clearing between Asahi and Kei. She watched as she-

As she saw the ball slam back down to where it came from. She saw Kei's arms move and block out Ushijima's spike. [Name] watched as she saw the middle blocker's hand shoot up before gripping it in the air, screaming victoriously. She watched, knowing that the crowd was just realizing what just happened before letting out a scream as the crowd roared, ferociously. 'He did it!'

The girl let out a breathe as she cried at the sight, smiling broadly. Tanaka and Nishinoya ran to Kei as they jumped and hugged him, beaming with pride and joy.

"He must've found a reason.."

****

Shirabu: "Grr.. Vote or else."