Chapter 6

Jysmn had set herself up with a small audience. A few people introducing themselves, and talking to her, anything to speak with her. She was the guest of honour after all. It took her longer than she expected to make her way to the throne that the King still sat in. She stood in front of the royal family.

Smiling, she decided to take her mother’s words to heart. Instead of curtsying, she bowed at the waist. Until she was at a ninety degree angle, holding, then straightening herself again.

Beside the big throne, that sat a smiling King, was his close family. His son and daughter. The first married to a Princess from Rialaithe, their two young daughters. The Queen, their mother, had passed away a few years before Jysmn had fled. But they all smiled nicely at her, like they did to all those they had to deal with tonight.

But not the King. She watched the older man try to even go as far as to sit forward in his thrown. Her heart leapt in her throat, her eyes threatening to sting. Finally, there was truly someone who missed her.

Marvella missed her to. But it felt wrong. She didn’t even recognise her friend, let alone have much in common anymore. Marv had also been told to not speak to her throughout the night, and had obeyed, so there wasn’t a lot to miss.

“It’s little mouse, are you still fine with us oldies calling you that?” he asked, a smile on his white stubbed face. His hair had gone sickly pale, despite being a thick black before she left.

Lady Jenny’s words wrung through her mind. That a man had cursed this sickness upon the King.

“The fact that my King still uses such endearment means more to me then my own name,” she said, her voice rickety with nerves. Her heart thumping in her chest. She didn’t want to disappoint him. Plus, the King’s she had met along her travels hadn’t been one for informal talk like she used to have with the King.

“You talk to me like I’m some silly old man, you must tell me about your travels sometime tonight. I hold you responsible for our success this fishing season,” the King told her, a kind smile still on his face. Jysmn didn’t hide the broad smile on her face. Thankful, that the King hadn’t been like her mother, determined to wipe it off her face. “Now, go enjoy your party,” he said, waving a weak hand to her, dismissing her, for now.

“Of course, your majesties,” she said, bowing to the King and his family one more time. His family blinked at her in surprise, staring at her in interest. They had more things on their mind then Jysmn and what she looked like.

Out of everyone she forgot, though, the King and his kindness hadn’t been one of them. He had stayed in her mind. She would dare say that she preferred him more than her father. Had sometimes wished, especially when she was little, that she had born the princess in this kingdom. She didn’t want that now.

She didn’t want anything. Other than the King’s good health.

Jysmn made her way over to more champagne, her hands still shaking. She couldn’t wait for the food, she knew she’d regret all the alcohol on an empty stomach, but she needed to flush her nerves away.

“There are appetisers on that table,” Marvella’s angelic voice told her gently. Jysmn nearly poured the champagne all over the table in fright. She watched her old best friend pour a three cups of red wine. Obviously for Melody and her friends.

“Thank you?” Jysmn croaked, eyeing the pretty girl as she stared down at the glasses in front of her.

She guessed that a part of Marvella’s free spirit still lived. That no matter who ordered her, she didn’t obey. A pang of relief filled Jysmn, as she released a breath she hadn’t even known she’d been holding. Sweeping her blonde hair behind her ear, Marvella attempted to hold all three in her tiny hands.