The Night Johnny Leaves

I remember that rainy evening. No thunderstorms, just heavy rain. I was alone in my room wrapped up in my blanket anxious about what's about to happen. 

My phone buzzed; It was a text from Johnny. He wants to see me outside. I put on my slippers and headed outside with an umbrella. I opened the gate and I saw him there soaking wet. I immediately rushed towards him covering him with my umbrella. My umbrella was small in diameter so we were a few centimeters apart. He held his military bad on his left hand and the other hand touched my cheek.

Johnny: "This is the night, love. I won't see you for a year or two. I'll wait for you, please wait for me, okay? I love you."

Then he kissed me. 

Just like a cliche Korean drama love story, our tears began to flow. I bet my tears were more painful than his because how can I remain calm when I know that the moment he walks in that barracks, means his life would be over. 

Me: "Love, please call me everyday--"

Johnny: "--Why--"

Me: "--Just please! I want to hear you voice everyday. I can't sleep without knowing you're okay."

Johnny: "Okay, love. I will"

Then he gave me his LAST kiss before leaving me. I kept crying quietly as I watch his back fade into the distance. That was it, his last kiss, his last touch. That was the night I last saw him breathing.