Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Nostalgia

"Song writing?" The boy asked in a confused tone.
"Yeah, I kind of have this thing happening next week? And I need help."
"What's it about?"
"Just a small gig, you know..."
He took out his phone and gave it to me.
"What? Do I keep this?"
"Put your number in, I'll call you later."
"Oh, so now you're hitting on me? Okay, okay..."
"Wait– No, no, no, no... no!" He's turning red and everything else he's doing is screaming YES! "I have to check my schedule first if I have time–"
"I saved your ass from getting a zero, fuck your schedule."

I tossed his phone around for a bit before letting out a deep sigh and finally giving him my number and he gave his. I can't believe his moves worked...
"Great, I'll talke to you later." He said and walked away.

This boy... wait, what's his name?
"Hey! What's your name?" I shouted.
"August!"
"August what?"
"Just... August?"
Oh, so we're doing that? Fine.

After school I went to Aurora's, a local diner with hormonal teenagers and adults who say "lit fam" when talking to said hormonal teens. God forbid there's pedophiles.

I picked a table and sat down. The atmosphere in this place is suffocating, too much mood lights and ballad music. They use to do hole in a wall gigs but got rid of it soon after. Rumors say they didn't pay their artists properly. Just some free drinks and a place to smoke.

"Claudia?" A familiar voice called out. I looked away from the window to see who's calling just to find out it's an old gig mate.
"Hi, Justin. How's it been?" I sound condescending, but what can I do about it?
"It's been a while huh, I'm fine. How are you and Yza?" He sat down in front of me, didn't even ask.
"Excuse me?" I exclaimed.
"Oh, I don't mean it like that. Although, you two would make a very cute couple." He winked.
What the actual fuck?
"Yza's gone, Justin..."
"Oh? Did she move away?"
I didn't reply, this dense dick head apparently can't read the room.
"Oh well." He took a deep breath. "Anyway, when's your next gig?"
"Maybe next month? At a birthday party for some spoiled bitch."

The waitress came by and gave us a menu with glasses of water.
"Just call when you're ready to order." She walks away. Justin waved goodbye to her.
"Mind if I join you? I can bring the band back together. I hear Jesse's back in town."
"I kind of wanna ride solo for a bit, you know? Just to find my own sound." I take a sip of water. Tastes like the word alkaline.
"If you insist, Claudia."
"What's with that tone?"
"Nothing."

It was quiet for a bit, nothing but the sound of 80s nostalgia pop on the house speakers and lusty couples laughing. On the other hand, the lights outside look pretty.
The waitress came back to with her little clipboard thing.
"Are you guys ready to order?" She asks.
"I'll take the house special." Justin ordered.
"Cheeseburger with fries, don't add ketchup."
"Okay..." She scribbles down our orders. "...anything else? Smoothies?"
"No thanks." I answered.
"Alright, it should be ready in thirty minutes, thank you." She walks away.

Justin leaned forward and whispered.
"Don't you think she's hot?"
"I think it's part of their job to look like that. Eye candy and all. Good ol' capitalism."
"I'd order that if she was on the menu." He did that creepy eyebrow flash old guys do.
"You fucking dog..."
"What? I'm joking."
I let out a deep sigh and looked out the window again, the cars are more entertaining than this dimwit.

After a few more minutes of nothing but staring at cars and imaginary space dolphins, his order came, pork steak with gravy and mashed potatoes. Suits him well with his pushback hair and v-neck sweater.
"Want some?" He asked.
I shook my head and went back to gazing at the flickering light outside.
"Claudia, in all seriousness, how are you?" Now he's the one who sounds condescending, the audacity!