Chapter 7

Chapter 7

August

"Hey Gus!" Moira yelled from the hallway, "I met your girlfriend today! She's really cute–"
"For the last time, she's not my girlfriend!" I yelled. back.
"Make her your girlfriend then!" She replied followed by laughter.

It's been a bit since I've met up with Cloud, and apparently she's still out and about. Wonder what she did?

I was writing a song when suddenly Moira popped up, and threw a shirt at me.
"Gotcha something from campus." She said.
It was an S.o.S. shirt with their new album cover printed.
"That's pretty nice, thanks." I threw it on my bed.
"Hey, unfold it there's more." She pointed at the shirt.
I sighed and took the shirt. I unfolded it and two envelopes fell down.
I picked up the envelopes, they felt stiff.
"Well? Open yours!" She exclaimed.
I looked at the back and opened the one with my name on it.
My eyes widened, "Holy cow..." I whispered.
"Take that girlfriend of yours with you, Jesse & I weren't really interested. Enjoy!" She went back down.

"I have to call cloud." I told myself.
I quickly took my phone, and ringed her. A few moments later she answered.
"Hey–"
"Hey Gus, can we meet up? I'm at Aurora's right now."
"O–Sure... can I tell you something–"
"Okay, thanks. See you in a bit." She hung up.

Well someone's in a rush... it's probably best for me to tell her in person anyway.

I neatly inserted the envelopes in my journal before putting it inside my bag. I wore my hoodie, and snatched a pen on my way back down.

"Gus? Is that you?" Mom called.
"Yeah, I'm going out for a bit." I replied.
"Can you stop by the grocery store? We're out of ketchup, we're having fries tonight."
"How much–" I struggled to put my sneakers on.
"Take your dad's wallet, it's right by the keys."
"Okay! See you later!" I rushed out the door, and into the truck.

It's 3:40 p.m and she wants to meet up. I know she's pretty turbulent, but this is unusual... even for Cloud.

Is she in trouble? Is her father hurting her? I don't know the ins and outs of their current family situation, but with how she frames it? I can't help but think that it's not good.
Should I contact the police then? Or am I being too nosy? Whatever it is, I have to keep my guard up.

I got to Aurora's, and saw her waiting outside out of breath. I was about to step out when she quickly gestured for me to stay inside.
She rushed to the other side, and hopped in while slamming the door shut.
"Okay..." She sighed, "...I'll give you directions, you drive."
"Wait, where are we going?" I asked.
"Somewhere quiet, now can we please go?" She slammed the dashboard.
I got out the parking lot and, she starts pointing at randon directions.

Turn after turn, we never really got anywhere. We went pass Aurora's twice before she realised that we were going in circles.

She was frustrated and angry at something, but she wouldn't tell. She kept pointing at random directions until she told me to stop road side by a forest.

We sat there for a minute before I broke silence.
"What now?" I asked.
She unbuckled her seat belt and went marching; I followed her.

The sun was setting on us, and the birds were flying home. We were walking along a path when she suddenly stopped.
"Hey Cloud, are you okay–" I tried to reach for her hand, but...
"I HATE YOU!" She screeched, it echoed through the forest and flocks of birds flew.

I've never seen her this vulnerable. The girl that always stood her ground, the girl filled with pride, the girl who had her head in the clouds, grounded in front of me...