Chapter 15

**Sorry for this chapter taking longer than usual, Wattpad was having some issues with writing. I'm publishing this on my computer instead of a phone, so hopefully it goes okay! :)

The next few days were kind of a blur. I woke up, went to school, then my internship. Although, it wasn't really an internship anymore. I mean, I always got to hang out with the avengers and Mr. Stark after an afternoon in the lab. I really think that they took a liking to me. The orphaned Peter Parker. 

I sat in school staring at the board in my math class. I wasn't really paying attention, but I already knew the concept so who cares? I zoned out, tuning out the monotone voice of the teacher. My mind wandered to Spider-Man.

The avengers were still on my tail, so I hadn't gone out recently to patrol. They kept sending more and more people, the highest ever being five different heros. This made it hard to evade their capture. Natasha had also kept her word, nobody else knew of my web slinging alter ego except her. She even helped me train on one patrol, where it was only her.

The bell finally rang, jumping me out of my thoughts. I grabbed my stuff and practically ran to the door and out into the hallway. While at my locker putting away my math notebook, I felt my spider sense pulse at the back of my neck. Ignoring it, thinking it's only Flash, I hurried even more and jogged to the cafeteria.

Then, I felt it again. Much, much stronger. Almost knocking me off my feet like it had when I detected the fire which killed May... Something bad was happening, I just knew it. I froze and dug out my phone, ready to text Ned.

Peter
Cover for me

Won't be at lunch

Ned
Sure

I'll be standing by if you
need the guy in the chair

Peter
Thanks

I turned around and continued running, only this time I wasn't headed to lunch. I made it to the end of the corridor, and leaned on the exit when no one was looking. I silently exited and climbed to the roof. I undressed quickly and suited up,my mind racing. Something was really, really bad.

That's when I noticed the thick smoke rising in the distance, exactly like the apartment fire. I webbed my new bag, a gift from Mr. Stark, to the roof and started swinging to get to the danger.

Smoke still rose and engulfed the once clean air. Sirens echoed throughout the city, heading towards the fire. I was out of breath by the time I made it to the scene, having swung all the way across the city last the orphanage.

I noticed what the burning building was by reading the sign out front:

Queens High School
Go Hawks!

My heart stopped despite the fast beating it was going at. This was Henry's school. I went over to the teachers and students lining up outside the school, a safe distance away. "Are you guys missing anybody?"

"We're missing three kids, Spiderman!" I don't respond and run at full speed into the building.

"May!" I pushed away the officer who was holding me back. He tried to follow me, but I started running at my full speed. "You can't go in there, it's dangerous!"

I ignored the warning and sprinted into the broken, collapsing building. May was in here somewhere, I knew it! I had to save her no matter what, hell, I would even reveal my powers just to save her.

I keep running and stop at the front of the school. My hands reach out and grasp the rubble blocking the doorway. I cough and continue to push it out of the way. I realize it won't work, no matter how much super strength I had. Running, around the side, I found another way in and quickly pushed through. I could feel the sweat running down my neck, either from the immense heat or my adrenaline boost.

Once I was in the school, I held my breath and shouted out for the lost kids, still trapped in the burning building, like May.

I finally reached our apartment and I kicked down the door. "May!" I screamed and heard a muffled, "Peter?" I navigated through the burning bricks and dense smoke to reach the bedroom.

I gulped and ran through a wall of flames, and I heard a cry from my right. I raced down the hall and found two kids with tears in their eyes, clinging on to each other for dear life.

"Hold on to me!" I yell and they grab me as we run to the exit. "Head to the paramedics-" I cough harder than before and my voice came out as just a dry croak, almost like a frog. Was there a frog in my mouth?

The boy and girl stumble towards the parking lot and some police officers come to help them. Then, I take a deep breath, trying to get a decent amount of air into my lungs, and re-enter the burning building. I shouted out again, determined to find the final kid.

My stomach did a backflip when I saw what was in there. May's legs were trapped under a falled piece of metal. "Peter, listen to me, baby-"

"No! I'm not leaving you!"
"You have to... Don't worry about me, okay? Promise me something... You'll-"

"Peter...?" A weak voice could be heard from a chemistry lab near the bathrooms. I kick down the door, my stomach doing backflips, as I had recognized who the voice belonged to. A small, redheaded boy with large blue eyes stared at me. A staggering amount of metal blocked his legs. He was stuck. I remove my mask and look into Henry's scared eyes.

That was the last time I saw May, before everything completely collapsed around us. In both of our final attempts to save each other over our selves, we spoke at the same time. 

"Peter, get out of here!" 

"May, I can get you out!"

Then, I approach and try to say, "Don't worry- I'll remove the debris..." He tries to speak but can't get any words out, as a piece of the ceiling caved in and fell directly on his head.

Then, the final piece of ceiling caved in and fell right on top of her. On top of my last remaining family member. She was all I had left...

Because everyone close to me had to die at some point or another.