Epilogue

6 Months

Bryan took several weeks to settle down, but with Tanya opening up, and giving much of her story to him, and a couple of times that he looked at trying to run, but just stepping outside the door, and seeing at least one wolf watching him had him just taking a few minutes outside the door, which they didn't bother stopping him; it wasn't like he had a window in his room that he could open. Learning that he was allowed just outside the door without issue but go much farther without an escort they wouldn't permit. They would then also take the time out of his 'recreation' time as well if he went farther.

Bryan blinked as Adam came up to him and sat down with him as he took his lunch break. He had seen all the senior wolves there several times, but none of them even acknowledged that he was there. "It has been six months. How are you doing?" he asked.

Bryan was startled, "Already? I hadn't realised that long had gone by."

Adam smiled nicely, nothing ferally. "Time does get away when every day is the same and you are busy." He replied knowingly. "Tanya has said that your cleaning was 'acceptable' and that she didn't need to teach you that."

Bryan was startled at the sound of some respect given by the Alpha. "I had been taught them by my mother." He said, before taking a bite of food, "She always told us to do our best at whatever we do." He shrugged, "I would rather be doing a round of cleaning than scrubbing pots in a sink all day long."

Adam smiled, "I can see that."

Bryan didn't bother saying anything. He just returned to his food. He was a bit behind on his cleaning today, as he had found that someone had dropped a jar of syrup that hadn't been noticed and had set into a thick goo that was hard to remove. Tanya had found him trying to clean it up, and made suggestions, but left him to it." Nothing had been said when his normal time for lunch had come and he had stopped for break, without finishing the room. It seemed they were being accommodating to the fact he had unusual cleaning today.

As Bryan finished his food, the Alpha gave him the largest surprise, "I know Elder Hellen is hard to please, but she has not reported any issues. Keep it up." Adam said.

Bryan was not sure on what to say, so just nodded as he headed off to finish his work.

*****

3 years

Bryan pulled off his snowsuit, as even in the -40 weather it was outside, he preferred to take the 'recreation' time outside rather than staying inside. He had unbent enough that first winter after freezing with just the light jacket to ask for a heavier snow suit. Tanya had actually nodded with a look of respect, "We'll get you one." She told him.

Two days later, a brand new, thick and warm snowsuit and heavy winter boots showed up in his room with a note to let them know if it didn't fit. Along with them, a scarf, toque, and equally warm mitts were there.

Each were products that he had wanted before but had been way out of his price range. It seemed the pack was quite willing to help him, within the rules.

It had taken two full winters before he even bothered learning the names of his guards or talking to them. This was his third winter. It seemed that for clothing, his basic requests had been fulfilled. He now had a lamp, access to reading material outside of his studies, and more comfortable chairs in his room. He had already given up on even trying to get away.

Even the guards had interesting life stories. It seemed that what he had been taught was totally wrong and he started to understand it was him, not the pack that had been incorrect. They had been here since the first colonists, before the land had even been claimed as a colony.