[11] Not for Kooks | The Lucky Compass III | Tease

We jumped out the van when John B shifted the gear into park. All the doors slamming as we got out to observe the lighthouse from afar. I squinted to see the top, the sun from behind the clouds still making it hard to see.

"Right. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B said to JJ, patting his chest. "And, you–" He continued, turning to me. "–are going to stay here with him. You look like death, no offense."

I raised my eyebrow but didn't object because I didn't really want to go anyway.

"Wait, why me?" JJ asked, confusion written all over his face as looked between all of us.

"Because you're not coming," Pope replied. JJ had an offended expression on his face as he waved his hands.

"Why?"

"Listen, there's independent variables and dependent variables. You're independent," Pope explained.

I smirked, sniggering, "Or in better, more simple words you're a loud, reckless liability."

"Shut up!" JJ raised his voice, getting annoyed by Pope and I.

"Shut up. Just listen!" John B mediated, coming between us three. "Pope, stay with JJ and Beckett. Okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house."

"Great!" Kiara agreed, and turned to walk away, the wind blowing her long curls back as she went.

I scoffed, "Yeah! Great idea. Let's isolate the three people in a shouting match together. Brillant!" I hollered at them sarcastically. John B and Kiara climbed the fence, waving as they went. I rolled my eyes walking back to the van.

"I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship," Pope mumbled, taking a seat underneath a tree. "I'm tryna keep felonies to a minimum."

JJ played with a hacky-sack, kicking it up with his feet and then hitting it with his knees. "Alright, would you just shut up already?"

"You're the one in time out, not Pope," I reminded JJ, sticking up for Pope. I switched spots with Pope, deciding to stay outside with JJ while Pope used the silence of the van to work on his scholarship.

JJ narrowed his eyes at me, but decided to ignore me, continuing to play with his toy. I settled against the tree, untangling my hair from their braids, letting my wavy hair free.

JJ cleared his throat. At some point between me sitting down and unbraiding my hair, JJ stopped messing around with his toy. He looked at me, his mouth opening and closing like fish.

"What?" I mumbled, waiting for him to spit out whatever he was trying to say. I pulled out a bunch of grass with my hands, throwing the chunk and watching as the wind carried it. I repeated the process.

"Are you okay?"

I looked up at JJ, not expecting those words to come from his mouth. I could've laughed if it weren't for the serious expression on his face. He sat down across from me, copying my actions.

I nodded, not being able to find the right words. I tossed another chunk, watching as it landed right on his lap. I felt myself grow uncomfortable with the topic. Feelings are such a mushy thing. But, I wasn't mad about it. Sometimes you need someone to check on you. "Are you?"

He shrugged. "I guess we have to be."

I nodded, agreeing with his statement. I sighed, feeling awkward with the different mood between JJ and I. Our relationship had always been ninety-five percent insults, three percent inappropriate jokes from him, and the other two percent being us ignoring each other. Sitting with him in the grass, talking real talk was beyond weird.