V

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 | Old Tales

{ Eliza }

✧✦✧

𝕴t seemed that the gods had listened to Lady Catelyn's prayers and answered, for soon after the elder Stark left, Bran awoke once more. With his mother away, Eliza had tried to help out as much as she could when Robb was not around. In some ways, Bran reminded her of Cayden, though Bran's eyes did not hold the same cheek that Cayden's still did.

It had been a shock for him, finding out that his sisters and father had left for Kings Landing, and his older brother had gotten married in that time as well. Eliza felt that he was still adjusting to her presence in the castle.

"Bran." Eliza knocked on his door, before cracking it open and stepping into the room. "Thank you, I'll be with him this morning."

Old Nan nodded, before gathering her knitting and shuffling from the room. Eliza tucked her skirts underneath her, before sitting in the chair that the older woman had vacated.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

"I'm bored. I want to go outside again." Bran huffed, playing with his blankets. "I don't like it in here. It's stuffy and boring."

"I'll talk to Robb and see what I can do, how about that?" Eliza smiled, seeing Bran perk up, as she brought her embroidery out and settled down once more. "What were you and Old Nan talking about?"

Everyday, Old Nan told Bran a new story and Bran would tell Eliza, though she vaguely knew them from her own childhood.

"She was telling me about the Long Night." Bran rolled his eyes. "But everyone knows that it's a lie, told to keep children out of the forest."

"Is it?" Eliza cocked an eyebrow. "Winter will come and the Long Night will come with it, that is true, but we will survive through it. But you are right, it is a story used to scare children. My older brother tried it with me and I couldn't sleep for weeks."

"You have older brothers as well?"

"Anceron and Perseus." Eliza replied, threading her needle. "But they're not that interesting. One is married and the other is doing who knows what at this moment."

"Can you tell me a story then? One from your home." Bran asked, watching her with wide eyes as Eliza's eyebrows furrowed. She thought for a moment, leaning back in her chair as she kissed her teeth.

"We don't have that many from Faymont, or about the Bare family as we were relatively unknown. We didn't get in wars like your ancestors did, despite being a large cavalry house," Eliza hummed, before grinning. "But, we do have one story though."

"What's that?"

"Well, our most famed story is that of our ancestors," Eliza placed her sewing down, knowing she would get nothing done. "Long ago, when my ancestors first found the land that Faymont would be built on, it was overrun with hundreds and thousands of wild horses that treated it as their home. My ancestors knew that they wanted to live on that land, but the horses were a large problem. They would either have to kill all the horses or move them to another plot, both of which would take years!"

"Did they kill the horses?" Bran's eyes widened, watching Eliza in fear. Eliza chuckled, shaking her head.

"No, no, they didn't. One of my ancestors, Aryana Bare didn't want them to either." Eliza smiled as she thought of the story, one that she had told her brothers and now she could share with Bran. "The night before they decided what to do with the horses, Aryana slipped away from the camp and sought out the leader of the wild horses, a stallion named Halcyon. All day and all night Aryana tried to get Halcyon to work with her so that they could work at one and finally, at sunrise, she rode Halcyon into the encampment."

"Then what happened?" Eliza glanced up, catching sight of Robb, who was leaning against the door and watching her.

"I think your brother wants to speak with you, but I'll continue the story next time I visit, promise." Bran looked downtrodden, but Eliza smiled and gathered her things, more than ready to leave the room.

"Stay a moment. I need to talk to you." Robb whispered, causing Eliza to nod and lean against the door frame, watching Robb interact with his brother. "How do you feel? You still don't remember anything? I've seen you climb a thousand times. In the wind, in the rain...a thousand times. You never fall."

Bran was picking at the threads of the blanket as he listened to his brother, looking uncomfortable all the while.

"I did though." Eliza licked her lips, knowing that the boy wasn't happy. "It's true, isn't it...what Maester Luwin says about my legs?"

Eliza and Robb shared a glance. They hadn't told him much about what Maester Luwin had said, knowing that Catelyn would prefer to be there to help him grow accustomed to the news. It was life altering after all.

"I'd rather be dead." Bran hissed and Eliza shook her head vehemently, as Robb's face grew pale.

"Don't ever say that." Robb's voice was hoarse as it echoed around the small room, breaking towards the end.

"I'd rather be dead." Each word seemed to push an arrow into Robb's chest as the teenager floundered with what to do.

"Brandon Stark." Eliza growled, causing both of the boys to turn towards her. "Never let me hear you utter those words again. You've been given a chance to live, do not waste your time on thoughts like that. Be thankful that you're still here."

Bran looked down, ashamed that Eliza had called him out in front of his older brother. Eliza's face softened, but she shook her head and stepped out of the room, making her way down the tower steps until she reached the bottom.

A whine sounded from the left of her as Greywind appeared, leaning into her side as she ran her fingers through his thick fur. His weight was comforting, as Eliza took a deep breath in and tried not to think about how she had snapped at Bran.

The boy had a right to be annoyed that he now could not walk, but he was alive. He should be grateful that he was alive and that he would be able to watch his family grow up, unlike both of her parents.

"Are you okay?" Eliza's head snapped up at the sound of Robb's voice. The older teenager was rocking back and forth on his heels, ever so slightly, as he waited for her to answer.

"Yes, thank you."

"Bran wants to apologize to you when you next see him." Eliza nodded, waiting for Robb to say anything else. But the man did not and instead, turned on his heels and walked away from her, leaving Eliza and Greywind to their own devices.

Hiya,

So Bran's awake and not pleased that he can't walk (understandable really) and Eliza's telling stories of her own home, which is really cute.

Let me know what you think,

Li xx