1

With just under a month of summer left, I thought I'd be spending that time laying under the sun, tanning on the beach, playing beach volleyball with my friends. Even thought maybe kissing a few guys here and there and staying up all night. What I did not anticipate on was having to move to a different place than what I am used to calling home.

     In order to go from Nassau to Outer Banks we had to get on a boat—or shall I say our yacht and sail out to Miami to take Dad's private plane to North Carolina. Too complicated if you ask me.

     Leaning my head against the headrest of the seat, thoughts of what my father wanted here ran through my mind. He claimed he was here for business and didn't trust to leave me back home alone. If we were here just for business, then why pack up most of our belongings?

     "We might be here for a while, sweet pea." He replied. "No telling how long it is going to take to set up these hotels."

     My dad owned hotels—and lots of them. He was basically the owner of the Cable Beach—hotel district for Nassau. Owned all five of them, with five-star dining and a Casino. Vacationers loved the place and I could see why. We had our own estate near the waterfront, but I would say majority of my time was spent at the hotel.

     "Sweet pea, we are here." Dad said.

     "I'm too old to be called sweet pea, dad. I'm 16 years old, almost 17."

     "You'll always be sweet pea to me. It's the one thing that keeps your mom alive in my heart since that's what she used to call you."

     I sighed and gave dad the 'I can't believe you went there,' look. He knows whenever it came to mom, I never argued.

     I stepped out the Mercedes dad had rented for the time being and took in my surroundings. It was the end of July and the slight breeze and ocean water helped calm the heat that was coming in later in the day. It was currently still pretty early in the morning so moving in shouldn't be too dreadful.

     Our house in the Outer Banks was located on the rich side of town, or "Kook" side as I learned and would soon meet a bunch of stuck up rich kids who think the lower class is so beneath them. There was a two-car garage from what I could see and more than four bedrooms at least. The long white staircase leading to the front door would not be fun to walk up many times throughout the day. Luckily, our house faced the beach, sadly, we didn't have a port or a boat like we did back in the Nassau.

     "Take your stuff inside, we will unpack later. The moving people will continue to unload for us. I need to get the other side of the Island to look at the hotel."

     "You mean,"

     "Yes, on the Pogue side, now come on."

     Dad and I took our things inside and dropped them off in the living room and I quickly grabbed my small backpack that I carry with me and beat my dad to the car.

     Driving to the other side, there was still evidence of the storms that had hit at the start of summer. The rich side of course was majority cleaned up while the other side was still barely hanging on.

     "Why do people treat the working class like they are a piece of dirt? It's not fair."

     "I know," Dad sighed. "Hopefully one day that all can change."

     It didn't take long for us to reach the hotel dad wanted to look at. It took about a total of an hour for dad to look and decide he wanted to move forward with investing in the place.

     Afterwards, dad stopped by a local restaurant that was vacationers favorite spot to eat and locally owned. "Heard this was the best place in town." Dad laughed and rubbed his stomach that was becoming to look more as if he was a few months pregnant.

     "Do you wanna find somewhere to sit and I'll get our order?"

     "Sure." I replied and walked to one of the tables near the window.

     While dad stood at the counter talking to the owners of the place, three teens about my age walked in. A girl with curly hair, a boy of darker complexion and a boy with blonde hair. My heart sped up as realization hit with who they were.

     "You'd know my friends as soon as they walk in the room." His voice echoed in my mind.

     I wanted to go straight up to them and introduce myself, but I knew I couldn't do that—could I? They probably wouldn't accept me in their group anyway—too soon. They think they just lost two of their friends, so trust wasn't at the top of their priority.

     Before I could look away, I caught eyes with the blonde hair boy—JJ. He gave me a light smirk and turned back to his friends and which, my dad came up to our table.

     "Bon-Appétit!"  

so i looked up on google maps and figure 8 island (where the kooks are from) it's 4 hours away from the outer banks so? improvising i guess?

wordcount - 876 ew this is short

did not proof read so please point out any mistake