2

A knock came to my bedroom door as I was watching Netflix on my laptop. "Come in." I replied and my dad walked in.

"Get dressed in something nice, we're hosting barbeque."

"Already?" I asked confused. "Dad we've been here for like three days."

"The neighbors are probably waiting for us to introduce ourselves."

"Why can't they bring us food like neighbors do in movies?"

"This isn't the south, Dakota." Dad shook his head.

"I rather not meet our neighbors after what I have heard about them." I commented. Dad huffed, "dad, I heard they like to beat up the Pogues and think they are better than everyone else."

"We still have to play our role, Dakota. If we want those two kids to come home safe, we have to help them out and we have to do it strategically. Just because Ward is under investigation does not mean he is off the hook completely just yet."

I sighed. "I know dad." I looked up at him, "just know if a Kook tries something I am not sorry about my actions."

"Fair enough."

Hours later I was sweating in my jean shorts, orange tank and my white Birkenstocks. I wanted to take a dip in the ocean, but dad said to wait it out until we've socialized a bit more.

Currently about thirty people were over: some adults, some teens my age, and some children. Obviously, I've met Topper already as he was the first one to start flirting with me. I mean, the guy is cute, but he oozes with 'I'm better than anyone and everyone,' which is something I just cannot overlook.

Ah, and then there's Rafe, the complete adult who still hangs around teens. I mean, I can't blame him, I haven't seen most people around his age either—I felt like this place was filled with either people under 18 or people over 30. I don't know if he was flirting with me, but he definitely called me cute and my only reply I could think of was, "why can't you change your hair?"

I leaned on the balcony rail staring off to the ocean thinking about what the Pogues were doing and wondering how life was back in Nassau.

"Thinking much?" Topper asked as he joined beside me.

"Yeah." I stated.

"I heard from the vine you met the Pogues at The Wreck."

I looked at Topper. "I saw them, I haven't spoken to them yet."

"Good, then don't. They're just a bunch of trouble making—"

"I don't need a lecture right now." I pushed myself upwards, so I wasn't leaning against the railing for support anymore. "Nice to meet you Topper." I gave him a two-finger wave and went off to find my dad.

"Rose, this is my daughter, Dakota." My dad smiled and I shook hands with the blonde hair lady. "Rose here is married to Ward."

"Ah." I nodded with a smile. "I was gonna ask if I could go surfing?"

"You didn't bring your surfboard with you."

"Eh, I bet I can get someone to let me borrow." I patted his shoulder. "I'll be back before 11."

I had no clue where I was going, but I grabbed the keys from the bowl in the foyer and took the car dad had rented and drove out by the beach I knew the Pogues would be at. I was still working up a plan on how to get them to trust me so I could tell them about John B and Sarah.

I remember John B mentioning that JJ will literally sleep with any girl, so I could go that route, but I know Kie is very protective over her boys. Did I really want to sleep with JJ? I mean he did catch me staring at him the other day.

When I pulled up to the beach, the sun was setting low and the breeze was picking up. I took off my sandals and held them in my hand as my feet met the sand and I dug my toes in. I breathed in the ocean water and instantly smiled.

I took a seat on the sand closer to the water, and realized if I did plan on surfing, I was in regular clothes, not even a bikini underneath. Well that was dumb. I always wore bikinis underneath my clothes knowing I literally lived in or on the water.

"What are you doing on this side?" A voice startled me, I stood up and I ended up looking in the eyes of one of the Pogues.

"Oh, um hi," I reached out my hand to shake, "I'm Dakota, I just moved here."

"We know who you are, what are you doing here?" She repeated.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I thought this was a public beach." I retorted and crossed my arms. "Didn't think there were limitations."

"Well listen here new girl; you are a Kook and currently you are near Pogue territory. You don't belong here."

"Kie, are you being nice to the new girl here?" The same blonde I caught eyes with the other day came up along with the other guy. "I'm JJ." He reached his hand out for me to shake and I did.

"I'm Pope." I shook his hand as well.

"Hi, I'm—"

"Dakota." The girl mocked. "We know."

"This is Kie, our fearless protector!" JJ joked. Kie shrugged JJ's hand off her shoulder.

"So, what are you doing here?" Pope asked, but a bit nicer than from what Kie asked. "Not to be rude or anything but you are kind of far from home."

"My dad decided to host a barbeque at our place, and I couldn't take another minute being surrounded my rich, spoiled brats who shower in their cologne."

"Oh yum, food." JJ rubbed his stomach. "I love me some food."

"Well maybe you all could come back later and stop by and grab some food?" I suggested.

All their eyes trained on me and furrowed their brows. "You are so new," Kie laughed. "You're too nice." She tilted her head.

"My dad taught me to be nice to everyone, no matter what differences we share. Topper has already tried to lecture me about this whole Pogue versus Kook thing and I'm not into it. Country clubs really aren't my thing."

"Where are you from, again?" Kie asked.

"Bahamas." I answered as if it was nothing. I showed no emotion when giving my answer, but I saw some emotion in each of their eyes. Sadness, forgiveness, resentment, feeling lost.

"What part of the Bahamas?" Pope asked.

"Why does it matter?" I tried to ask in a manner of joking but they waited. "Uh, Nassau?" I really need to work on my lying skills. They all looked at me like I grew a third head. "But don't tell anyone, okay? For some reason, when I tell people I'm from Nassau and that my dad owns all the hotels and casinos they get really weirded out." I added in. "Anyone have a surfboard on them?"